Rule 4 Quiz
1. B1, while chasing A1 towards the midfield line, goes offside. He returns to the proper half of the field momentarily and goes offside again. What is the proper call?
Two :30 penalties must be served by B1, unless Team scores during the flag down, slow whistle
One :30 penalty must be served by B1, unless Team scores during the flag down, slow whistle
Two :30 penalties are served. :30 by B1 and :30 by the in-home (Team B is two men down), unless Team scores during the flag down, slow whistle
One minute Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul on B1 for committing the same technical foul twice on the same play
2. Defensive player B1 enters the crease with the intent of blocking a shot from entering the goal while Team A has possession of the ball. What should the official do if this is the first time Team B has violated this rule?
Immediate whistle (unless a shot has been released). Throw flag. B1 serves 30 seconds for a conduct foul
Flag down, Slow whistle. Player serves 30 seconds unless goal is scored during slow whistle.
Nothing - This is a legal play.
Flag down, slow whistle. Player serves one minute non-releasable foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
3. What is the maximum amount of time given the goalkeeper to re-enter the crease on a restart in an NFHS game?
No time, restarts are immediate
Restart play when the field is ready
4. Team A calls a timeout while in possession of the ball. They inform the official that they are ready to play and return to the field after 40 seconds have elapsed in the timeout. The official informs Team B that the timeout is over, but Team B remains at their bench and does not return within 20 seconds. What is the proper procedure for the officials?
Penalize Team B 30 seconds for delay of game, served by the in-home
Penalize Team B 1:00 for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, served be the in-home
Penalize Team A 30 seconds for breaking their huddle too early, served by the in-home
No action, timeouts are 2 minutes long and both teams are entitled to the full time
5. Where shall the ball be awarded to the offended team on a pre-whistle face-off violation?
To the offended the team at the spot where the ball was when play play was suspended.
To the offended team on their offensive side of the field at center.
Reface the ball at center
Award ball via alternate possession.
6. Which of the following statements is INCORRECT when administering a face-off?
Players must move the ball immediately (defined as within one step)
Adjustments can be made to the face-off players positioning by the official
The players should be in face-off position before the ball is placed on the ground
The face-off official must be stationary when blowing the whistle to start play
7. When administrating a face-off, where should the ball be when the players go down into face-off position?
In the official's hand
On the ground
In between the player's crosses
None of the above
8. Player A1 comes to faceoff with paint on his shaft that is contrasting to his top glove and head of the stick. What should the official do?
Award ball to Team B, A1 stays in the game
Award ball to Team B, A1 serves 30 second technical foul
Conduct the faceoff, this is legal
Warn Team A and allow them to replace A1 with a faceoff player with a legal stick
9. Which of the following is FALSE regarding alignment for a face-off?
In a man-down situation, the team serving penalty time can fill in the wing area with a player from either the offensive or defensive end of the field as long as they remain onside.
Each team must have three players in the offensive half of the field (behind the restraining line) and four players on the defensive half of the field (behind the restraining line)
The face-off man may carry the ball in the back of his crosse for a maximum of one step before releasing it.
The official shall set the players in face-off position before placing the ball on the ground
10. Player A1, who is out of bounds, jumps and and while in the air, catches a pass and lands with both feet in bounds. What should the official do?
Play on, slow whistle. If A1 maintains possession, continue play.
No call, legal play
Immediate whistle, award ball to team B. A1 is out of bounds.
Illegal participation, A1 serves :30 technical foul.
11. Which of the following situations does NOT involve using alternate possession?
The ball gets stuck in the goalkeeper's equipment while he is within the crease
The ball gets stuck in the mud in front of the crease
The ball gets stuck in the equipment of a field player outside the crease
The officials cannot determine which team caused the ball to go out of bounds
12. Which of the following is a considered a legal goal?
The ball hits two or more of the goal posts on a shot
A player in possession (i.e. the goalkeeper) reaches back to make a pass and the ball completely crosses the imaginary plane of the goal line
A shot that touches any portion of the goal line
A loose ball that completely passes the the imaginary plane at the rear edge of the goal line
13. Team A (the offensive team) has satisfied the 10 second count, an errant pass heads towards the mid-field line. Before the ball crosses midfield, a defensive player from Team A "bats" the ball down with his crosse before it crosses midfield. What is the call?
"Get it in" call and give the offense 10 seconds to get the ball in the box
No call, this is a legal play
Immediate whistle and award the ball to Team B
"Play on" call and blow the whistle if Team A gains possession
14. Goalkeeper A1 is clearing the ball near midfield and A2 sets an illegal screen, creating a turnover. When should the ball be put back into play by the official?
As soon as Team B gains is ready for play
As soon as Team B is ready for play and no one is within 5 yards of the player in possession
After the goalie is given 5 seconds to return to the crease and Team B is ready for play with no one within 5 yards of the player in possession
None of the above
15. Team A scores the game winning goal in sudden-victory overtime. The coach of Team B requests an equipment inspection on the goal scorer to determine if his stick is legal. What is the proper procedure?
Allow the inspection. If stick is illegal, the game continues. If it is legal, the game is over.
The game is over. No inspection is permitted
Team B is charged a timeout and the inspection is made. If stick is illegal, the game continues. If it is legal, the game is over.
None of the above is correct.
16. If the score is tied at the end of regulation, winner of the coin toss shall be given which of the following options?
Goal his team wishes to defend
Next alternate possession
Either goal to defend OR alternate possession
Both goal to defend and alternate possession
17. Player A1 is driving towards the goal, deliberately jumps in the air and his momentum carries him into the crease after the ball has entered the goal. What happens next?
Goal is good, it went in before contact was made with the crease. Face-off at X
Goal is good, award possession to Team B on their offensive half of the field for crease violation
Goal is disallowed, award possession to Team B in the crease
None of the above
18. Where must the ball be to be considered a shot?
It must be parallel to or above the goal line extended
There are no requirements - it is the official's judgement
If it hits any part of the goal, it is considered a shot
It must come out of a player's crosse
19. In which of the following situations would a goal be allowed to stand?
Scoring team is offsides when goal is scored
Ball is kicked into the goal by the offensive team
Shot released before the horn sounds with ball deflecting off an offensive player after horn sounds but enters goal
Shot released before horn sounds, but official blows whistle before ball enters goal
20. On a shot released before the sounding of the horn, in which of the following situations would the goal count?
The ball deflects off an offensive player
The ball hits the goalkeeper (or his equipment) and enters the goal
The ball hits the goalkeeper (or his equipment), deflects off a field player and enters the goal
The ball hits the crossbar, deflects off a field player and enters goal
This form was created inside of Owen J. Roberts School District.
Terms of Service