At KUOW Public Radio
4518 University Way NE, Suite 310
Seattle WA 98105
Buses: 30, 71, 72, 73, 373, 43, 44, 48, 49
WHAT IS RADIOACTIVE?
RadioActive Youth Media is a program of KUOW 94.9FM / Puget Sound Public Radio, Seattle’s NPR news station. RadioActive creates a space where youth delight in discovering public radio journalism, It supports young people’s growth as media makers by sharing access to public radio’s knowledge, skills, and institutions.
In this fun, rigorous, and hands-on workshop you’ll learn about journalism, audio recording, audio editing, interviewing, writing for broadcast, and speaking on the air. During the second half of the program, you will produce, host, and edit a daily podcast and create a feature story on a topic you choose.
This is a paid opportunity – you will earn a stipend of $750 for your active participation in the full six-week program. You’ll also have the opportunity to stay involved as a RadioActive Advanced Youth Producer after the program ends.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
• Young people age 16-18. You must be 16 years old as of July 1, 2013.
• Youth who are excited to use digital media to tell true stories.
• Youth who are engaged in the world and are always asking questions.
• Youth who are strong writers and want to express themselves through sound.
• Note: This program is not a platform to promote a cause or a point of view - it’s a journalism program where you learn about a subject and share all sides of the story.
• The program begins on Monday, July 8, 2013 and ends on Friday, August 16, 2013.
• From July 8-25, workshops are held every Monday through Thursday from 12-4pm.
• From July 25 - August 16, participants will produce a 4x/week podcast, and schedules will vary. Each participant will be expected to attend a daily meeting at KUOW at noon, Monday-Thursday. Participants will work on their projects for approximately 24 hours per week, primarily from 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
• All meetings are held at KUOW’s studios at 4518 University Way NE Suite 310, Seattle 98105.
• A final celebration and listening party will take place on Saturday, August 17 from 6-8 pm.
• The program is free – all youth who complete the program will earn $750.
• No previous broadcasting or journalism experience is necessary.
• Come on time and stay for the whole workshop. Attendance to all workshops is mandatory.
• Complete outside work on time (you’ll put in extra time to complete your stories).
• Work on your own and in small groups.
• Treat your mentors, peers, selves, equipment, and meeting space with respect.
• Have fun, be creative and take risks!
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION BY MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY, MAY 13.
[Application continues on next page]