* THIS IS AN INTEREST FORM, THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE PLACEMENT IN COURSE, THIS IS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE*
The Teacher Assistant Certification Training Program, approved by the Rhode Island
Department of Education, offers the opportunity to become a Full-Time or Part-Time
Teacher Assistant. The program is delivered by a team of highly-qualified teachers,
teacher assistants and healthcare professionals.
Classroom topics include:
• Roles and Responsibilities of the Teacher Assistant
• Managing Anti-Social Behavior
• School Laws
• School Health and Safety
• Special Education Basic Rights
• Team Building and Collaboration
• Positive Classroom Climate
• Computer and Technology Skills
• Preparation for ParaPro Assessment
After successful completion of the 3 components of the training:
1. 24 hours of classroom instruction (all classes must be attended)
2. 3 hours of job shadowing
3. ParaPro Assessment (electronic multiple-choice exam taken at CCRI)
Participants are awarded a teacher assistant preparation certification.
- Student must successfully pass an appraisal test
(If an Associate’s degree or higher is held, the appraisal test and ParaPro
Assessment are not required)
- Participants must provide a copy of their high school diploma/GED
or of the highest degree obtained
- picture identification to be eligible for the training.
Classes are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
during 4 weeks (24 hours total) at the Institute for Labor Studies & Research,
1540 Pontiac Ave Suite A, Cranston, RI 02920. Cost of the training is $305.00.
Payment in full is expected two weeks before the beginning of classes.
Please make check, money order or credit card payable to the Institute for Labor Studies
and Research (ILSR), 1540 Pontiac Ave Suite A, Cranston, RI 02920. We do not accept cash payments.