NOAA/AOML Hurricane Research Division (HRD) Data User's Survey
As a data user, HRD invites feedback on your experiences obtaining and using datasets provided by HRD (please see a list of available products at
). We value your time in filling out this important survey, as it will provide critical guidance for HRD scientists as we seek to improve our service as a data provider to the hurricane community. Many of the questions are open-ended, so feel free to provide as much detail as necessary.
1) How have you used HRD datasets? (check all that apply)
Observational case studies
Observational composite studies
Real-time storm diagnostics (e.g., HRD Hurricane Field Program data)
Model development or evaluation
2) What HRD datasets have you used, or are currently using? (check all that apply)
Tail Doppler radar
Lower fuselage radar
HWRFx or Basin-scale HWRF forecasts/products
3) Where did you access those datasets? (check all that apply)
HRD webpage / ftp
NOAA AOC ftp
4) Which tools or software do you use to manipulate and/or visualize those datasets? (check all that apply)
5) Are the dataset formats (e.g., text, netCDF, HDF5, binary, GRIB, etc.) easy to use within your preferred tools and software? If not, what formats would you prefer?
6) Are datasets on the HRD webpage catalogued in a way that meets your needs for discovery, evaluation (i.e., is it within your interest?), and download? If not, how would you like to see the data catalogued to better meet your needs?
7) What information was offered on QC procedures, error estimates, data versioning / processing date, and citations for the datasets?
8) If you had a question about a dataset, how did you determine whom to contact to ask that question? Was it clear who the person(s) responsible is for that dataset? Did you receive an adequate answer, and how long did it take to get a response?
9) Does the data latency meet your needs? How soon after collection (e.g., for a specific storm or season) would you like data to be available?
10) Are there hurricane-related datasets that are not available through the HRD webpage that you would like to see made available?
11) If you are partnering with HRD scientists, do you have datasets that you would like to be mirrored or even hosted by HRD?
12) Do you have software or analysis workflows that you would like to share on HRD’s website?
13) Any other comments and/or suggestions?
14) What is your affiliation?
15) Would you like to waive anonymity?
16) If yes, please provide your name, email, and affiliation
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Terms of Service