This form is for organizations and public officials to endorse Illinois HB 2775 (Rep. La Shawn K. Ford and Sen. Ram Villivalam). For the full bill text and fact sheet, go to: https://www.housingchoicepartners.org/soi-campaign
Over half of Illinois households (2.7 million) earn some sort of non-wage income that is used for housing payment. This includes Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Housing Choice Vouchers, veteran vouchers, child support, emergency COVID assistance, etc.
The passage of HB 2755 will ensure that:
- no residents in Illinois are turned away from available housing simply because of the way they pay rent,
- workers impacted by COVID-19 have more stability through the use of available emergency relief,
- over 99,000 Housing Choice Voucher participants in Illinois are protected from housing discrimination,
- veterans do not get denied housing because they use a subsidy from the Veteran Administration,
- barriers are eliminated for individuals with disabilities using SSI and/or disability-specific accounts, and
- persons fleeing domestic violence or other dangerous situations are able to access safe housing more quickly.
Source of Income discrimination continues to disproportionately affect communities of color and low income people across Illinois. The bill has passed the Illinois House and is awaiting a vote in the Illinois Senate. Help us build on our momentum and end source of income discrimination.