Robert J Stahl Student Teacher Scholarship Award
This scholarship has been created to give financial support to a student teacher during his or her
semester of student teaching. The members of the Arizona Council for the Social Studies (ACSS)
want to support the entrance of an outstanding novice into the profession who would otherwise
find it financially difficult to complete his or her program of study. The award recipient will receive
$1,000 to offset costs associated with student teaching, as well as one-year memberships in the
National Council for the Social Studies and the Arizona Council for the Social Studies.
1. Applicants must be enrolled full time in an elementary or secondary social studies teacher
preparation education program at an Arizona university.
2. Award applications are due every year on or before May 15th. Applicants must student
teach in the fall or spring semester of the following academic year.
3. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
4. Applicants must provide evidence of financial need.
5. Applicants must compose a 500-word essay detailing their commitment and connection to
teach social studies in the future and the importance of social studies in the curriculum.
Possible suggestions might include conference/workshop attendance, internship hours and
lesson planning/implementation activities, membership in professional organizations, and
activism for the social studies.
6. Applicants must include two confidential letters of reference.
Application Submissions: All applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Application materials must be typed or word-processed, including the application form.
• Address all of the specific eligibility requirements outlined above.
• Include two letters of recommendation from a supervisor, teacher, colleague and/or
community member that speak to the applicant’s commitment to outstanding social studies
education. Letters should be placed in a sealed envelope with the seal signed by the referee.
Applications will be judged by members of the ACSS Awards Committee.* Judges can in
no way be related to or have had a personal or professional relationship (including a current
or former teacher) with applicants. All application material to be submitted by May 15th.
• The annual winner will be notified no later than July 31st of each year. Public recognition
of the recipient and the monetary award will be made yearly at the ACSS Fall Conference.
[*This scholarship is wholly funded sponsored, administered, and awarded by ACSS.]
Complete the following information and submit supporting materials to:
ACSS Awards Chair
P.O. Box 24839
Tempe, Arizona 85285
Semester and Year for Applicant’s Student Teaching:
Name of your University Social Studies Methods Instructor(s)
Referral #1 (Name, Job Title, Email)
Referral #2 (Name, Job Title, Email)
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service