Robert J Stahl Student Teacher Scholarship Award
This scholarship has been created to give financial support to a student teacher during his or her semester of student teaching. The members of the Arizona Council for the Social Studies (ACSS) want to support the entrance of an outstanding novice into the profession who would otherwise find it financially difficult to complete his or her program of study. The award recipient will receive $1,000 to offset costs associated with student teaching, as well as one-year memberships in the National Council for the Social Studies and the Arizona Council for the Social Studies.
1. Applicants must be enrolled full time in an elementary or secondary social studies teacher preparation education program at an Arizona university.
2. Award applications are due every year on or before October 15th. Applicants must student teach in the fall or spring semester of the following academic year.
3. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
4. Applicants must provide evidence of financial need.
5. Applicants must compose a 500-word essay detailing their commitment and connection to teach social studies in the future and the importance of social studies in the curriculum. Possible suggestions might include conference/workshop attendance, internship hours and lesson planning/implementation activities, membership in professional organizations, and activism for the social studies.
6. Applicants must include two confidential letters of reference.
Application Submissions: All applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Application materials must be typed or word-processed, including the application form.
• Address all of the specific eligibility requirements outlined above.
• Include two (2) letters of recommendation from a supervisor, teacher, colleague and/or community member that speak to the applicant’s commitment to outstanding social studies education. Letters should be placed in a sealed envelope with the seal signed by the referee.
Applications will be judged by members of the ACSS Awards Committee.* Judges can in no way be related to or have had a personal or professional relationship (including a current or former teacher) with applicants. All application material to be submitted by October 15th.
• The annual winner will be notified no later than November 1st of each year. Public recognition of the recipient and the monetary award will be made yearly at the ACSS Fall Conference.
*This scholarship is wholly funded sponsored, administered, and awarded by ACSS.
Complete the following information and submit supporting materials to:
ACSS Awards Chair
P.O. Box 24839
Tempe, Arizona 85285