1. All students wishing to enroll in a school outside of their attendance area should apply online stating the reasons for the requested change. Applications must be received online between January 1, 2019 and March 1, 2019.
2. All school choice students must complete a new application when a significant grade change has occurred. These grade changes are 5th – 6th and 8th – 9th. Kindergarten students who were not able to attend the home school due to enrollment numbers must return to the home school for grade one or apply for school choice.
3. Only situations based on an extreme hardship will be considered.
4. Per policy JC, it may be necessary to close certain grade levels, classes or schools to outside enrollment due to overcrowded conditions. The guidelines for the Missouri School Improvement Program Standards will be used in determining overcrowded conditions. 5. A letter informing the parent/guardian of the decision will be sent by the assistant superintendent by April 15.
6. The applicant must demonstrate acceptable behavior, regular and prompt attendance and acceptable academic progress toward promotion.
7. Each student may transfer out of the home attendance area only once, but may return to the home school area at the end of the year.
8. Parents/Guardians must agree to provide transportation to the school outside the home area.
9. For students interested in participating in high school athletics/activities, Missouri State High School Activities Association policy clearly states that a student who is granted permission to attend a school outside of their defined attendance area “may participate in designated sports only at the sub-varsity level of competition until the student has been in continuous attendance at the new school for 365 days from enrollment.”(MSHSAA Handbook)
10. The superintendent may act on such applications based upon the merits of the application or may refer the matter to the Board of Education.