Each team will present a new song for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who—in the poetry slam tradition—will then vote on their favorites and award $2,000 in prize money:
$1000 for first place, $600 for second place and $400 for third place*
Information about the performance & premieres:- Premieres will take place at the People's Building at 7pm: 9995 E Colfax Ave Aurora, CO 80010 - Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!
RULES:1) Registration is $15 and opens Friday March 1st at noon MDT on a first-come, first-served basis.
2) Performance slots will be given to the first 10-12 applicants to apply; there will also be space for 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations.
3) Original compositions presented at the DENVER songSLAM must: - be composed for voice and piano - feature texts that are in the public domain or have written and signed permission from the author/trust - receive their world premiere at our event.
4) Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
5) A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
6) Texts may be in any language. and the THEME for the Denver songSLAM is CHILDREN"S POETRY - all submissions should be based around this theme!
7) There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
8) Composer must be present during the premiere event.
9) Teams should be complete at the time of registration and must consist of at least two people. Composer can be either pianist or singer.
(*Further prizes may be granted at the discretion of the Co-Artistic Directors of Sparks & Wiry Cries, including online distribution of selected songs, hosted through the Sparks & Wiry Cries’ website.)