Thank you for your interest in Tufaan 2018! Northwestern University's Tufaan Entertainment is proud to present its 8th annual intercollegiate South Asian dance competition on March 24th, 2018. We are honored that you are considering this year's event!
Below is the preliminary registration packet, which will provide you with information about the application process, requirements and deadlines for your team.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text our registration chairs, Swati Garg (503)-789-3970 and Rushi Shah (480)-707-1400.
We look forward to reading your application and working with you in the near future!
Sincerely, Tufaan Entertainment Board
Part 2: Once your preliminary registration form has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com containing details about how to submit your audition video and pay your registration fee.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
1. All registration information (including your preliminary registration form, non-refundable application fee and audition video) must be sent in by Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 at 11:59pm CST. All applications sent after midnight will be considered late.
2. Teams that fail to meet the original deadline can submit late materials by Wednesday, November 15th, 2017 at 11:59pm CST, but will be charged an additional late fee.
3. Teams will begin to become notified of their status on Monday, November 19th, 2017.
1. If application materials are submitted by November 8th, there is a non-refundable $40 application fee. A breakdown of how this fee is used is provided below.
Direct Donation to Shanti Bhavan - $20Venue and Hotel - $10Tufaan Hospitality - $6Vendors (Photography, Videography, Lighting, Sound) - $4
Team Application Fee: $40
2. If application materials are submitted after November 8th but before November 15th, there will be a $20 late fee in addition to the regular $40 team application fee. The total fee will be $60.
Teams that choose not to submit their preliminary registration form online can print it out and send their applications and audition video DVDs to:
Rushi Shah1735 Chicago Avenue, Apt. 603Evanston, IL 60201
2. At least 75% of the team needs to be affiliated with a university, not necessarily the same one. The remaining 25% may be alumni or community members.
3. This form must be filled out by the team captains/managers who will be the primary contact(s).
4. Routines must be between 8-10 minutes in length, including the introduction video. Those that do not fall within this range will be penalized.
2. All team members must be dancing in the video and visible in the frame at all times.
3. The audition video must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes long. Videos that are longer in duration will only be reviewed for the first 5 minutes.
4. Do not include transition slides in the beginning or end of the video. Your audition video should start with the dance.
5. Videos must be taken in one, continuous take. NO EDITING is permitted.
6. The audition video must be taken at one angle and one angle, only. The camera should be placed in the front and center at an elevated angle so all performers and formations can be seen properly.
7. There should be no zooming in and out. The entire stage dimensions should be visible at all times.
8. Absolutely no display of college colors or logos will be tolerated, on clothing or in the background.
9. Do not indicate your team name at any point in the video.
10. Preferably, all dancers should be coordinated in their clothing (no school colors or logos). For example, boys wear black and girls wear white.
11. The audition video should be of good visual and sound quality.
12. The routine performed in the video should be representative of the routine that is to be performed at Tufaan 2018. No videos of previous competitions or performances will be accepted. Choreography should be original.
13. Audition videos are due on Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 with the application form and the team application fee. Late applications may be submitted by Wednesday, November 15th, 2017, but a $20 late fee will be enforced.
14. Teams that do not comply with the above rules will not be considered for this year’s competition.
15. Videos must be submitted to Tufaan via unlisted YouTube links or as a hard copy DVD to the address above. Details about this process will be sent upon receipt of Part 1 of your application.
1. The Tufaan Entertainment Board will evaluate all audition videos based on the criteria used in the actual competition. These include technique, energy, facial expressions, synchronization, formations, transitions, and originality. The top 8-10 teams will be selected.
2. Only the Tufaan Entertainment Board will have access to the application packets and audition videos.
1. Teams that have met all the requirements will begin to become notified of their application status on Monday, November 19th, 2017.
2. Teams must confirm their intent to compete within twenty-four hours of their notification.
3. Teams will receive a secondary registration packet shortly after their confirmation that will contain further information about the competition weekend and specific deadlines.
Wednesday, November 15th, 2017Late application deadline at 11:59pm CST • Same materials as above • Non-refundable $60 team application fee paid to Tufaan Entertainment
Monday, November 19th, 2017Teams begin to be notified of application status
Wednesday, November 21st, 2017Confirmation of intent to compete
Monday, November 27th, 2017Second registration packet sent to teams
Friday, March 23, 2018Teams arrive in Evanston
Saturday, March 24, 2018Tufaan 2018!