South African Adaptation Network: Individual Commitment Form
Please read the below:
The SA Adaptation Network (AN) is in the process of updating and expanding its membership database to increase representivity, activity and involvement of all interested South Africans to become members of the Adaptation Network. The SA Adaptation Network is founded on inclusivity and we therefore encourage and welcome all individuals and organisations involved in the climate change adaptation and related fields to become members of the Network.
On behalf of the Steering Committee and the Adaptation Network Secretariat, we would like to formally request you to update your membership to INDIVIDUAL MEMBER*. This Category may include community members, professionals/ practitioners, etc. Individuals formalise their membership in their own capacity by signing this Commitment Form as a pledge to upholding the agreed values, principles and objectives of the Adaptation Network, as below:
Mutual respect, honesty, integrity, trust, commitment, caring and compassion, openness, justice, patience and understanding, diversity of belief systems, inclusivity, equality, uBuntu, solidity, creativity, love, civility, transformation to an integrated society and “fun is good!”
Transparency, diversity, accountability, active participation, inter-disciplinarity and exploring synergies, efficiency, inclusivity, sharing/partnerships, straight talk, listening, inspiration, democratic structure, flexibility, effectiveness, keeping harm at bay and support.
• To promote knowledge sharing and partnerships amongst practitioners and institutions engaged in developing and applying the theory and practice of adaptation to climatic variability and change
• Be an open forum for sharing resources, knowledge and ideas and promoting the integration of different kinds of knowledge
• Provide a space to grow partnerships and support one another
• Be a recognised point of contact for consultation, lobbying and advocacy
• Enable members to advocate for improved delivery in climate adaptation at all levels (focus on finding common ground, not joint positions on all issues)
• Provide co-ordination to encourage alignment and connectivity
• Provide a platform for promoting collective positions
• Assist members to promote awareness through education, shared information and shared platforms
• Highlight what is already happening in terms of education and communication
• Be a central point for providing information
• Promote better planning and evaluation across the Network
• Promote activities that build the capacity of communities to innovate and adapt
• Paint a positive picture, and communicate a message of hope to communities that “we’re up for the climate challenge”
• Support national processes that support adaptation and the funding of adaptation activities
*While we support Individual membership, we encourage Organisational Membership should you have your principles consent to act as a representative of your organisation on the Adaptation Network. Organisational Membership offers voting rights at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Adaptation Network at a ratio of 5:1 in comparison to Individual Membership.