Cheyenne River Reservation Service Trip
May 25-June 1, 2013
Eagle Butte, South Dakota
For the last four years, students from across all New School divisions traveled to Eagle Butte, South Dakota for a week-long Habitat for Humanity build. Trip participants have made a significant impact in the community, helping to build two new homes, insulating the attics of houses in an entire neighborhood and working on other substantial energy efficient home improvements. After hours, students participated in many activities that helped them learn about the Lakota community in which they worked, such as visiting Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, and a vast buffalo ranch, participating in a sweat lodge ceremony, and playing a community softball game.
This year we continue our work on the reservation by participating in weatherization and refurbishment projects on existing Habitat for Humanity homes. Please join the New School in continuing our collaboration with the Cheyenne River Reservation to improve the local housing stock and environment.
The trip cost is $500.00 and students must sign up by Friday, April 19. A $100.00 deposit will be required to secure a spot on the trip and the balance of $400.00 is due on Friday, May 17. The trip costs covers all airfare, ground transportation, lodging and most meals and activities.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Nicholas Krebs, Assistant Director of Student Development and Activities, at 212.229.5687 with questions or for more information about:
1. Requirements for participation
2. Activities planned for the trip
3. Educational resources about the Cheyenne River Reservation/Lakota people.
To sign up for the trip follow these instructions:
1. Fill out the form below with all required information.
2. Attend a trip info session or schedule an individual meeting with Nick Krebs at the OSDA. Information sessions are held on the following times/dates at the OSDA office at 90 Fifth Ave, Room 209:
Wednesday, April 10 at 6pm
Friday, April 12 at 12pm
3. After meeting with the OSDA, submit your initial deposit of $100.00 by Friday, April 19. Please do not send payment until you've completed both steps above. Select the Cheyenne River Reservation Service Trip Deposit link and follow checkout instructions at this website: https://epay.newschool.edu/C21120_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=14