Join us on February 11th, 2017 as a participant!
Help the Sunday Morning Market raise funds for this year's chosen charity, Faces of Courage and promote some local foodie fun!
Faces of Courage is a local non-profit organization located in the Tampa Bay area that offers free camps and events for women,men and children with cancer and blood illnesses.
This event will host a maximum of 15 hometown cooks competing against each other for the title “BEST Mac-n-Cheese in Seminole Heights”. A panel of judges will determine the winner from all Mac-n-Cheese entries, as well as the community vote for a “People’s Choice” winner.
Entries will showcase pasta and cheese and non-traditional ingredients are to be encouraged!
The First Place Winner will receive braggin’ rights for 2018 and a hand crafted trophy.
If you are interested in participating in the 5th Annual, Mac + Cheese Cook off at the Market and would like a registration form, please click on the link below.
The deadline for all registrations is February 1st, 2018.
We look forward to tasting your best Mac!
The Tampa Bay Markets Team. www.tampabaymarkets.com
The Market will provide 2 Chafers, Sterno, Serving Spoon, Tasting Spoons, Napkins and Tasting Cups.
There is only one trophy for this contest - 1st Place. The contestant with the most amount of votes wins 1st Place. There will be a second prize given for the runner up.
Rules and Regs:
The following rules are to be adhered to by all cook-off participants, judges and/or assistants:
1. All ingredients and the entire Mac + Cheese dish must be prepared prior to the event – Mac + Cheese is to be brought “ready-to-eat”. The Mac + Cheese recipe must be made from scratch; commercial boxed or canned Mac + Cheese will not be permitted as the base for the Mac + Cheese recipe.
2. Contestants are responsible for supplying all of their own ingredients, cooking utensils and products relating to their Mac + Cheese submission.
VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS:*Please understand that in order for any prepared Mac + Cheese dish to be served and counted in for the voting process it must be made using these instructions.
If a dish is prepared and cannot serve up to 140 tasters then it cannot be counted in for the vote.
If a dish is brought in cold and cannot reach the core temp of 150 degrees for serving then it cannot be served or counted in for the vote.
If a Mac + Cheese Dish is prepared, but has been put into the wrong size pans where it cannot fit properly into the chafing dishes then the contestant may risk the quality of their dish as it will need to be transferred into the proper pans the morning of in order to be heated properly and served.
3. Preparation Instructions: Each contestant must prepare enough Mac + Cheese to serve 140 people 1 large spoonful to taste. This is approximately 4 lbs of dried pasta cooked and mixed with cheese. The Mac + Cheese must arrive to the contest warmed to 150 degrees. The Mac + Cheese must also arrive in either 4 shallow 1/2 pans or 2 shallow full aluminum pans and covered with aluminum foil. These are commercial catering pans that can be found at a wholesale club, Restaurant Depot or at Sanwa Farmers Market on Hillsborough Avenue.
3. The Cook Off will be set up in a separate area aside the Market layout. All contestants must deliver their Mac + Cheese to the contest area at the market by 10am sharp! The Cook Off staff will be onsite and will insert the Mac + Cheese into Chafing Dishes that will be preheated with sterno. Electricity will not be available.
4. There will be up to 15 separate chafing dish stations, one for each contestant. Each station will include a server to portion out the prepared Mac + Cheese. Contestants will not be allowed to serve their dish to tasters in order to avoid neighborhood favoritism. Each station will have a sign with the name of the Mac + Cheese Dish and will include a list of the basic ingredients inside the recipe to avoid any food allergies or sensitivities that a taster may have.
1. The Sunday Morning Market will provide all of the disposable serving utensils and cups needed for the public and judges tasting.
2. Each contestant will be assigned a “number” for judging purposes.
3. The decision of the judges is final. Judging will be based on scorecards which will be numbered. The “People’s Choice" winner will be chosen via the final tally of tasting votes.
Mac + Cheese can be made either with meat, seafood or any additional added ingredient or vegetarian or vegan. In this Cook Off the Mac + Cheese will be blind judged (no one knows the identity of the cook) and scorecards will be based on the following six characteristics:
1. Texture: The texture of the Mac shall not be tough or mushy. 2. Flavor: The Mac + Cheese should be creamy and have a robust flavor of quality cheese. 3. Consistency: Mac + Cheese should have a good combination of pasta to cheese and the sauce should be not too thin or too thick.
4. Spice and Taste: Blending of the spices and how well they have permeated the Mac + Cheese. Some recipes are spicy and some are savory. All recipes will be accepted.
5. Aroma: This will be a personal preference of the judge.
6. Color: The submitted Mac + Cheese should look appetizing.
There will be a ballot box located at the check in point. All tasters will submit their ballot at the end of their tasting and the votes will be counted by the Tampa Bay Markets staff.
At 12:45pm the ballot boxes will be pulled and the tickets will be counted.
The announcement of the 1st Place Winner will take place approximately at 1:15pm or as soon as all votes are collected and counted.
I understand that Cook Off will be held on Sunday, February 11th 2018 from 11am - 1pm and that my Dish must be prepared, heated and delivered by 10am sharp in order to be counted in for the contest.
I understand that it will operate Rain or Shine and will not be rescheduled due to inclement weather. That once I submit my registration I am responsible for keeping my commitment to this Cook Off.
I agree to abide by the Cook Off Rules and Regulations as outlined in the Registration Form above as well as all laws, codes and regulations provided by the Seminole Heights Sunday Morning Market, Tampa Bay Markets, Inc., Hillsborough High School, Hillsborough County and the State of Florida.
I agree to indemnify and hold harmless directors, employees, representatives and agents of the Seminole Heights Sunday Morning Market, from and against all liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, levies and causes of action or suits of any nature whatsoever, arising out of or related to my activities at the market.
I also agree not assume any responsibility whatsoever of any property brought on the market premises and that I will take whatever steps it deems necessary to protect same, consistent with the rules and regulations of the market set in place by Tampa Bay Markets.