LOCATION: The NYSC 2018 will be held in “Camp Pocohontas” in the Monongahela National Forest in eastern West Virginia, near the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.
DATES: Delegates MUST be able to attend the entire NYSC program, June 27 through July 21. Delegates depart Santiago for Charleston, West Virginia on June 26 and arrive back in Santiago on July 22.
COST: The U.S. Embassy/Department of State will cover costs for all educational and recreational programming, as well as lodging, meals, and transportation within the United States, round-trip international air travel, and U.S. visas (Insurance and Chilean passports and related documents are the responsibility of the delegates).
1) Chilean applicants must be high school students 16 - 18 years of age as of June 26, 2018
2) Must have very good English verbal and written skills
3) Must demonstrate superior academic proficiency (6.4 grade point average)
4) Must demonstrate concrete leadership abilities, solidarity and social maturity through involvement in school and community activities benefiting others
5) Must demonstrate skills and achievements outside the realm of science and outside the realm of academic pursuits (music, sports, art, others)
6) Must demonstrate a proven curiosity related to environment, science and/or technology through participation in such activities as congresses, science fairs, school projects, and similar
7) Must never have lived in or spent more than two weeks in the United States nor other English speaking countries
8) Must hold Chilean citizenship/permanent residence
TO APPLY, candidates must complete the online Delegate Cover Sheet and separately send the following documents to USChileExchanges@state.gov:
1) a letter of recommendation in English or Spanish from a teacher or mentor not related to you; 2) a resume in English detailing your academic achievements and extra-curricular activities with a specific focus on environment, science and technology themes;
3) an academic transcript from 2017. APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND INDICATED DOCUMENTS RECEIVED AT USChileExchanges@state.gov NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT, APRIL 22, 2018