2020 Application for an ESL or Citizenship tutor
Before getting started, here are some things to know about the English as a Second Language tutoring program with Douglas County Libraries.
If you are preparing for Citizenship, please know that our tutors are not immigration attorneys. We can help you learn the Civics and understand the questions on the application, but we cannot tell you how to answer the questions on your application or at your interview.
• It may take several months before we have a tutor who is available to meet your needs.
• Plan to commit to meeting your tutor for a minimum of one hour per week for a minimum of six months.
• You and your tutor will establish a regular meeting schedule.
• After you have been working with your tutor for one year, we will ask that you reapply for a new tutor if you wish to continue. This will allow you to continue to grow and will allow another student to learn from your first tutor. There is no limit to how long you can remain in our program.
• If you cannot meet regularly, we will ask that you apply again to the program when you can commit to regular meetings.
• If your tutor is missing sessions, we will try to find a new tutor for you.
• Our program is free. Your tutor is a volunteer. They do not expect payment for their services and are not allowed to accept payment or expensive gifts. They are teaching you because they want to help our community.
• Your tutor will have received training but may be new to teaching. They, too, are learning even as they help you learn.
• Your tutor will have passed a criminal background check. We only use volunteer tutors without a criminal history.
• You will always meet your tutor in a public place. Most tutors meet their students at the library in our study rooms.
• Your tutor is not allowed to give you rides and is not allowed to accept rides in your car.
• We do not allow family members or friends to be tutored together.
• Our program only is able to serve adult students.
Do you accept text messages at the above phone number?
If you have worked with a tutor in Douglas County Libraries, please write the name of your last tutor.
Student age. Our program only is able to serve adult students.
When others are speaking about me, I prefer them to use the pronouns:
He, him, his
She, her, hers
They, them, their
Please indicate the times and dates you are available to meet your tutor for one hour on a weekly basis. Please note you will always meet your tutor in a public place.
Please indicate your preferred Douglas County Libraries branch to meet your tutor. Choose all the locations you can meet on a weekly basis.
Douglas County Libraries, Philip S. Miller Branch in Castle Rock
Douglas County Libraries in Parker
Douglas County Libraries in Lone Tree
Douglas County Libraries in Castle Pines
Douglas County Libraries, in Highlands Ranch
Douglas County Libraries, Roxborough
I would prefer to work with
a Male tutor
a Female tutor
A Native English Speaker
The first available tutor who is available.
How long have you lived in the US?
I am a native. I was born in the US.
Over 10 years.
I do not live in the US. I am only visiting.
What is your native country?
What is your native language?
What other languages have you studied?
Where have you studied English before?
In my native country.
With a tutor at Douglas County Libraries
At a college in the US
At class at a church in the US.
How long have you studied English?
At what level did you study English?
Have you attended University or College?
Yes - I attended university or college in my home country.
Yes. I have attended college or university classes in the US.
No. I have not attended collge or university.
Are you attending college or university classes now?
I plan to attend college or university in the future.
If you attended college or university, what subjects did you study?
What was your profession in your native country?
What is your profession here in Colorado?
What are your goals for improving your English in our program?
I want to learn English to get a job.
I want to prepare for US Citizenship.
I want to pass an exam.
I want to communicate with coworkers and clients or customers.
I want to speak with friends and neighbors.
I want to help my children in school.
Would you like to purchase your workbook that you can keep and write in for $12? Know that you have the option to borrow your materials from the library with your Douglas County Libraries Card at no cost. You are not able to write in borrowed items.
Yes. I want to purchase my workbook.
No. I prefer to borrow materials.
Maybe. I want to see my options first.
What are your hobbies or interests? Knowing a little about you helps your tutor connect with you on your first meeting.
Do you have home internet access with a laptop or computer at home?
Do you have a smart phone?
Yes. I have an Android or Google Phone
Yes. I have an iPhone.
I do not know.
Are you interested in studying with an online program while you wait for a tutor or with your tutor?
How much time are you able to commit to studying each week?
more than 6 hours
Do you need help with your basic computer skills?
If you are filling out this application for someone else, please provide your name, email or phone number and relationship to the student.
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provided.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service