Answers will appear automatically on a linked spreadsheet that you can see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S9KShDLvU7C-KkgEevYTHXr3F6InTenrBsS9yk-8C5M/edit#gid=1530077352
IMPORTANT NOTES--PLEASE READ PRIOR TO FILLING IN THIS SURVEY!!
1) ***YOUR ANSWERS WILL BE PUBLIC! PLEASE DON'T ENTER ANY RESPONSE ON THIS FORM THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE PUBLIC! THEY WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED ON A SPREADSHEET THAT IS PUBLIC
THE PURPOSE OF THIS SURVEY AND ASSOCIATED SPREADSHEET IS TO MAKE ANONYMOUS PERSONAL STORIES PUBLICLY AVAILABLE TO GIVE A SENSE OF THE SCALE OF INCIDENTS AND THEIR RECURRING PATTERNS.***
2) I will delete entries that appear to be from trolls or counter to the spirit of this project.
3) While I am greatly sympathetic to sexual predation in all professional settings, and want it to be exposed, PLEASE DON'T REPORT STORIES FROM HIGH SCHOOL OR ANY K-12 SETTINGS HERE. My audience and my goal is to try to the degree possible to identify patterns of harassment and harm in HIGHER ED settings -- college, university, academic research labs, research institutions, scholarly conferences and the like, targeting people who have or are seeking advanced degrees such as Ph.D., MA, MFA, Ed.D, J.D., and so on. I hope that others will do a similar project for other levels of schooling.
4) My goal is to allow victims to know they are not alone, and to raise awareness about this scourge in academic settings. Please don't participate if you don't wish to have your anonymous story visible to others. I fully support your right and desire to NOT share your story here if you prefer not to.
I will be discussing the content of this survey on my blog, The Professor Is In, and on my Professor Is In FB and Twitter accounts, and possibly in a Chronicle of Higher Education column, but have no plans to use it in any other way. I do not plan to make it available for any research projects at this time. Any request for the use of this data requires permission by me at the email address below.
5) Any cels marked [Removed] represent content that the contributor requested remain confidential when filling in the form, not realizing that all content goes automatically to a public spreadsheet. I am monitoring for this several times a day, and would appreciate alerts by email if you see content that needs to be removed.
6) I leave the definition of "Sexual Harassment" open; you may share anything that you feel merits inclusion here. My goal here is to make visible the unacknowledged scope and scale of the problem of sexual harassment in academic settings in the aggregate - with complete anonymity for all who participate. I will make no effort to use this information for any purpose except to increase public awareness on my blog. I will make no effort to identify the contributors or the actors in their stories in any way.
7) Any names will be XX-ed out of this publicly available document. However, if you wish for me to know your name or the name of the harasser, or have a personal request with regard to the information, please email me privately at email@example.com. Many have done so, and I hold that information in total and complete confidentiality.
Thank you for participating; feel free to share with your networks.