Things Took a Turn: On a Dark and Stormy Night
THINGS TOOK A TURN is an animation anthology that challenges female, trans, and non-binary creators to push story boundaries by flipping familiar narratives. This year the theme is ON A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT, meaning spooky stories! (i.e. ghost stories, campfire stories, monster stories, etc. have fun with it. Also it does not have to actually take place on a dark and stormy night)
- Pick a known spooky story or trope and find a new way to change or interpret it into a short animation. This can mean keeping tropes as loose threads of your story or sticking to the original plot like glue, but there MUST be a noticeable change at some point. OR, new this year, submit an original spooky story!
- Creators should identify as female, trans, non-binary, or genderqueer – let's see all the great work you animators and designers have to offer!
- Final submissions must be between 5 seconds and 3 minutes long. Go crazy.
- All experience levels welcome.
- Collaborations welcome if you lean more towards design or towards animation, but also this could be a cool opportunity to challenge yourself to do something outside your comfort zone!
- One entry per person/team
- Submissions should have subtitles if they're not in English (or hard to understand)
- Final deliverables include:
1. Final work: must be a 1920x1080 MOV or MP4 at 24 fps, and try to keep the file size under 200MB.
2. 1-3 PNG frames from your submission for promo purposes. 150dpi
3. A link to your portfolio and social media handles so that we can link to your stuff!
-DEADLINE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2021! Submit final deliverables to
-Try to make things your own! Steer clear of copyrighted art material, especially anything that might upset the Mouse. Think of this as an opportunity to showcase your style!
- Please don't post your work publicly until after the anthology launches. We want it to be a surprise! (However, work in progress teaser shots are encouraged.)
At the end, collected submissions will be curated into one long video! You can see last year's anthology here:
This form is just so I have your information and can reach out to you regarding any updates regarding the anthology as it progresses– feel free to reach out at any time if you would like to change any of your information.
If you have any questions, please reach out to
Do you have a collaborator or teammate? If so, who? (only one of you needs to fill out the form)
Anything else you'd like us to know?
How did you hear about Things Took a Turn?
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Things Took A Turn.