ASD Buddy Bear Preschool Program 2020-2021
Considerations Before Applying
ASD strives to provide opportunities for preschool students with disabilities to interact and be educated with typically-developing peers. The Buddy Bear model is not intended to provide early childhood education for typically-developing children; it is designed to support the development of young children who are identified as developmentally-delayed or disabled.
A maximum of three Buddy Bears are allocated per classroom. Allocations will be determined by the principal and school team and will be reviewed throughout the school year. The number of Buddy Bear students allocated to each preschool special education class is based on the enrollment and needs of the special education students in each class. Visit
for more information.
• Children 4-years-old on or before September 1, 2020 attend 9:45am-1:45pm, Monday-Friday
• Children younger than 4-years-old attend either 9:45am-12:15pm or 1:45pm-4:15pm, Monday-Thursday
• Communication programs (Creekside, Taku, Ravenwood) operate 9:45am-12:15pm or 1:45pm-4:15pm, Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Thursday
• Age Eligibility: Children must be at least 3 years old to apply
• Fee: $200/semester; waived for families qualifying for free/reduced lunch
Transportation is not provided for the Buddy Bear Program.
Application and Selection
In consultation with the school team(s), principals select Buddy Bears based on program and classroom needs, and returning Buddy Bear status. Buddy Bear applicants must complete the Buddy Bear Application. The Ages & Stages (ASQ) Screener is completed when contacted by a school for possible selection.
Buddy Bears must reapply each school year.
Page 1 of 6
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Anchorage School District.