Each team will present a new song for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who—in the poetry slam tradition—will then vote on their favorites and award $1,500 in prize money. Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!:
$800 for first place, $500 for second place and $200 for third place*
Information about the performance & premieres:- Premieres will take place at Koerner Recital Hall, Vancouver Academy of Music, 1270 Chestnut St, Vancouver, BC V6J 4R9, Canada, June 28th at 7:30pm -Tickets will be on sale for $20 each -Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!
RULES:1) Registration is $15 and opens Saturday April 27th at noon PST on a first-come, first-served basis.
2) Performance slots will be given to the first 10 applicants to apply; there will also be space for 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations.
3) Original compositions presented at the VANCOUVER songSLAM must: - be composed for voice and piano - feature texts that are in the public domain or have written and signed permission from the author/trust - receive their world premiere at our event.
4) Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
5) A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
6) Texts may be in any language.
7) There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
8) Composer must be present during the premiere event.
9) Completed scores must be submitted by May 27, 2019
10) Teams should be complete at the time of registration and must consist of at least two people. Composer can be either pianist or singer.
MORE INFO can be found at www.artsonglab.com and www.sparksandwirycries.org
(*Further prizes may be granted at the discretion of the Co-Artistic Directors of Sparks & Wiry Cries, including online distribution of selected songs, hosted through the Sparks & Wiry Cries’ website.)