Our volunteers have invested a great deal of care and effort to prepare each rescue dog for adoption, however each dog will require continued work in his/her new home with a family understanding of his/her individual needs. Our adoption process is lengthy to ensure that each dog is matched with the right home, and that each family receives the most suitable dog the first time around.
CERA pre-screens all dogs and will not knowingly provide a dog that is dangerous or unsuitable for adoption. Please note CERA does NOT have a shelter facility in Vancouver should you want to return your adopted dog for any reason. Returns are stressful for everyone involved, please consider seriously before applying as you are making a lifetime commitment to the dog.
CERA reserves the RIGHT to refuse any applicant for any reason without further explanation. CERA will NOT hold a dog for an applicant, and there may be multiple applications for any one dog.
1. Submit your initialed online adoption applicationAfter reviewing your application, you will be contacted by a volunteer for follow-up questions.Pictures of inside and outside of your residence (showing front and back yard and height of fence, if applicable) will be requested prior to proceeding to step 2.
2. Phone interview A phone interview will be arranged during which any additional questions you might have will be answered.
3. Home checkA home check is scheduled at your convenience to make sure the home environment will be suitable for the dog. All residents of your home must be present for the home check. More pictures may be taken by us at this time for our records. After the home check is completed, our volunteers will decide whether to approve the adoption application. We will inform you of our decision within 1-7 days.
4. Sign an adoption contract and pay the adoption feeOnce your adoption application has been approved and a flight date or arranged pick up date has been confirmed, you will then need to sign an adoption contract and pay the adoption fee. Payment can be made through direct bank deposit to our rescue’s account or e-transfer.
Note: Full payment of adoption fee is required before your adoptee's flight can be booked if applicable. We must also receive the original signed contract or the adoption cannot be finalized.
5. Meet at YVR - Vancouver International Airport (If applicable)On the day of your dog's flight, our volunteers will be there to help you pick up your dog. We will contact you within the first few days of your dog’s arrival to assist you should you have any questions.
Please consider carefully before bringing a dog home. Ask yourself if you are ready to commit on having a dog for the next 10-15 years. Our goal is to find our dogs a forever home and a family who is willing to love and care for them unconditionally until the last day of their life.