Please read the bellow request for proposals CAREFULLY to avoid being eliminated from consideration.
Significants dates applicants MUST commit to being available for:
January 2 - June 15, 2019 : 10-15 hours of rehearsal per weekWednesday, February 20, 2019 : Works in Progress ShowingSaturday June 1, 2019 : TECH WorkshopJune 17-20, 2019 - TECH WeekJune 20, 21, 22, 23 and June 27, 28, 29, 30, 2019 : Possible Performance dates, you will perform two evenings on each weekend.
__________________________________________________REQUESTS FOR PROPOSALS
LINKS HALL’s mission is to encourage artistic innovation and public engagement by maintaining a facility and providing flexible programming for the research, development and presentation of new work in the performing arts.
As an organization Links Hall best realizes its mission by functioning as an artistic incubator, a launch pad that partners directly with artists through commissioning residencies and artist-conceived programs in order to achieve outcomes greater than either organization or individual could accomplish alone.
For our 2018/19 season Links Hall is seeking two Artistic Fellows. These artists will be veteran performance makers already engaged with the initial research and development phase of their new works. These individuals will be awarded six months of studio time from January 2018-June 2018 to complete the creation of their new projects and undergo an intense rehearsal process to hone and fine tune their performances prior to a shared two-week run of the works at Links Hall.
The selection will be made by Links Hall's Programing Committee Co-Chaired by Cheryl Lynn Bruce and Julia Mayer.
- Six months of rehearsal space in the Links Hall studios, 10-15 hrs of rehearsal space per week during weekday mornings and afternoons exclusively. (Evenings and weekends are dedicated to performance and public programs.)
- A stipend of $500 per month over the course of the residency
- Support of the The Art of Rehearsal coaching team to create a customized rehearsal and support plan for your project.
- A $400 discretionary stipend to contract a production manager, PR consultant, or dramaturg.
- A technical workshop on Saturday June 1, 2019.
- Free access to performances and discussions at Links Hall
- A split bill works-in-progress showing on Wed, February 20, 2019.
- Professional development guidance in marketing and finance from Links Hall’s Staff.
- Fiscal Sponsorship at Links Hall for any additional financial needs of your Fellowship Project.
- A two-week (four performance) run at Links Hall to premier your performance.
- A majority share of the ticket sales from your shows at Links Hall.
__________________________________________________ARTISTS ARE EXPECTED TO
- Clean the studio floors before or after your rehearsals at Links Hall.
- Be willing to offer one free training or low-prep promotional performance within Links Hall's community if asked.
- Join in on Links Hall activities and help out based on their individual skill sets.
- Manage their rehearsal schedules. i.e cancel rehearsals, don't stand us up.
- Utilize the resources of the Fellowship. i.e, rehearse, work with your dramaturge, participate in workshops, be responsive to marketing, scheduling, and production staff inquires.
- Applicants must be Chicago based.
- Applicants must have past experience with studio/rehearsal residency programs.
- Applicants must have past experience with producing and presenting evening length work.
- Applicants must have at least 8 years of professional artistic experience.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate past accomplishments, by means of previous grants, awards, tours, presentations, or critical reviews, that indicate the mature quality of their work, and the excellence of their artistic practice. (you do not need to have examples in ever category)
- Applicants should be engaged in a live performance practice other then Music. As we run a shared venue with a music presenter Links Hall can not commission or present sound based works. This does not mean that you can not work with a musical or sound based collaborator. Interdisciplinary projects are welcome.
- Applicants CAN NOT currently be enrolled in a degree seeking program or should be graduating Spring/Summer 2018.
- Applications are welcome from individual artists, collaborating partners or groups. If you are applying with partner(s) or a group, please demonstrate in your application that everyone is committed to utilizing the space and time offered through the Fellowship program – i.e. weekday hours
- Applicants must be available for all residency dates listed in this applications and willing to participate in a mid point works in progress showing as well as a concluding performances.
__________________________________________________CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Proposals will be reviewed in the context of Links Hall’s mission.
- Work samples will be reviewed for artistic excellence, but excellence will be contextualized based on the training and artist practice of the individual applicant.
- Is the proposal innovative, original, risk taking, and a reflection of contemporary practices in the live arts both locally and nationally?
- The selection panel will consider the applicants proposed project in the context of Chicago's performing arts community.
- We will assess the applicants need in alignment with their past artistic experience - is this a right time in the applicants artistic career for this opportunity? Are the resources of a Co-MISSION Fellowship necessary for the creation of this work? Will this artist fully utilize the resources offered by this program?
- The selection panel will consider the applicants proposed project in the context of Links Hall's over all season. We are committed to offering a diverse season. Applications for all programs are selected with a curatorial eye for the entire seasons offerings. We are committed to building a diverse, innovative, and excellent season.
__________________________________________________TO APPLY YOU WILL NEED
1) Project Budget and Timeline.
2) 5 min video work sample from a past completed work.
3) In progress work sample of proposed project - can be video, written, audio, etc.
4) Resume or CV
If you have additional questions please look at the FAQ's on the "artist" drop down menu first of the Links Hall website. Contact Anna Trier at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 773.281.0824 with any further inquiries.
All application materials must be submitted through this form, selected artists will be notified by June 1, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday April 9, 2018