2020 Climate Action Pledge
The time is NOW to act on climate change locally. By taking small steps and making more eco-friendly choices every day, you can be part of the climate solution. Below are strategies that will cut your carbon emissions, help preserve our environment, support our local economy, and leave a more resilient Yampa Valley for future generations. Take the pledge and help fight climate change with YVSC!
I pledge to curb my carbon emissions and help fight climate change in the Yampa Valley
by committing to the actions below...
How did you hear about taking the pledge?
Choose two or more climate actions that you will commit to:
1. Conserve energy by switching to LED lightbulbs – Replace just 25% of your home’s lights in high-use areas with LEDs to cut your lighting costs in half and significantly reduce lighting energy use.
2. Recycle something you haven’t in the past – Download the free Yampa Valley Recycles app at
to search hundreds of items like electronics, batteries, plastic bags and paint and learn where to recycle them locally.
3. Use alternative transportation – Take the FREE bus, walk, bike or carpool one day a week.
4. Remember your reusable bags when you shop – Avoid Steamboat Springs’ 20-cent paper bag fee at Walmart, Walgreens, City Market and Safeway and go beyond the ban by bringing your bags wherever you shop.
5. Avoid buying new - Buy used and repair items whenever possible. Check out YVSC’s guide to local repair, thrift and consignment shops at
6. Get an energy assessment – Learn where your home or business leaks or is inefficient in energy use with a low-cost energy assessment. Sign up at
7. Reduce the amount of food you throw away – Get tips and resources to reduce your food waste at
8. Say NO to single-use stuff such as bottled water, to-go cups, plastic bags, paper towels and straws – Purchase a reusable water bottle and coffee mug and bring them everywhere.
9. Save water and energy – Install high-efficiency showerheads and faucet aerators to lessen the demand on your hot water heater and reduce your utility bills. While you’re at it, set your hot water heater no higher than 120º.
10. Install a programmable thermostat – Save 10–12% on your heating bills with this quick fix. Save even more energy by setting your heat to 68° when you’re home and 60° at night or aren’t home.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Yampa Valley Sustainability Council.