Welcome Potential Board Members!
Youth in Care Canada (formerly The National Youth in Care Network) is a national non-profit, charitable organization driven and staffed by youth and alumni from child welfare systems across Canada. The organization represents the opinions and concerns of youth in and from care and increases awareness about the needs of these youth through research, outreach, advocacy and engagement at the national level. To learn more about our organization please visit
DEADLINE TO APPLY TO JOIN THE THE YICC BOARD IS 11:59 PM EASTERN TIME ON SEPTEMBER 20th, 2020
To be eligible to sit on the Youth in Care Canada (YICC) Board of Directors, you must meet the following criteria:
• Be 18 years of age or older;
• Be a current or former youth in care of a Canadian Child Welfare Authority;
• Be a member of YICC in good standing (the membership application form can be found at
• Submit a complete Board of Directors Application Form online AND send your CV separately by e-mail to
This form will guide you through the steps required to apply to be a YICC board member. YICC is very interested in hearing more about you and all of your amazing skills, knowledge and experience. Please set aside up to an hour to fill out this form and submit your CV to
GENERAL BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
With this position comes responsibilities and decision-making powers that will shape the direction and future of the organization. You will be part of an amazing team of people and a unique youth-driven organization. As a voting board member elected to a two-year term, you will be responsible for the following:
1. Attending at least 6 board meetings (minimum of 60 minutes each; scheduled once/month) per year;
2. Serving on at least one standing board committee OR a board-led project (meetings as needed, at least once per month);
3. Participating in one in-person board retreat per year (if funding and schedules allow);
4. Being a board contact or ambassador at various conferences and/or public events as needed; and
5. Committing to check and reply to e-mails two to three times per week.
Each month this works out to about two to four hours of meeting time, two to four hours of checking emails, and between four and twelve hours of work on committee business or board-led projects. This means anywhere between 8 and 20 hours of work each month, depending if you become a regular Board member or join the Executive Committee.
* Please note, the board terms are for two years. In addition, the YICC Board of Directors is a “working board” which means that board members will be required to assume tasks/duties that would otherwise be delegated to paid office staff *
GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESS:
The following steps outline our typical Board Member application process:
Step I: Applications received. (Application Deadline: September 20th, 2020 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time)
Step II: Evaluation—applications are reviewed by the YICC Executive Committee (By September 24th, 2020)
Step III: Interviews—applicants are interviewed by members of the YICC Executive Committee (By September 31st, 2020)
Step IV: Nominations—candidates are nominated at the YICC electronic AGM meeting (October 2020, date TBA)
Step V: Notification & Orientation-- elected candidates are notified by October 31, 2019 and new board member orientation will be scheduled.
Now let's get started!
Page 1 of 8
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of National Youth in Care Network.