Thank you for your interest in joining the Collective Success Network (CSN) STEM Pilot and sponsored Student Mentorship in the NY Academy of Sciences (NYAS).
Due to COVID19 and concerns about health and safety, all aspects of this STEM Pilot will be virtual.
The purpose of the CSN STEM Pilot is to provide additional career awareness, skill building and mentoring for college students pursuing a career in science, technology, engineering or math. Selected students will receive a CSN-sponsored one year membership in the NY Academy of Sciences and CSN will provide orientation with an overview of how to find and use resources and member benefits from NYAS.
The application process consists of completing this survey and a follow-up phone conversation (20 minutes). Upon selection into the program, you are expected to attend a MANDATORY virtual orientation session (1 hour). The Pilot will then require a commitment of 2 h each month, for a period of approximately 6 months, to cover both independent and group activities. Specifically, each student is expected to spend at least 1 h per month focused on lab, coursework or personal experiences in STEM (such as networking or using NYAS resources) and 1 h per month participating in a CSN STEM cohort meeting to debrief on those personal experiences, share learnings and/or discuss general STEM topics. As this is a pilot study, all CSN STEM cohort members will be asked to provide feedback on the value of NYAS membership and recommendations for future CSN STEM-focused programs.
Benefits of NYAS membership include:
1) Career readiness and soft skill training opportunities: Through NYAS webinars, workshops, and online courses, Members get free or discounted access to critical skills training. Topics range from effective grant-writing, to securing funding, communicating your research, and planning a successful career in STEM.
2) Cutting edge STEM content: Members enjoy free access to digital content featuring the latest multidisciplinary research presented at the Academy, including our archive of over 500 eBriefings, and Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. You’ll also receive free or significantly discounted registration to over 100 symposia, webinars and conferences annually. Recently, NYAS has also highlighted the latest in COVID-19 research and progress towards therapies and tests.
3) Networking and resume building opportunities: The Academy offers multiple opportunities for student/postdoc Members to present their research, expand their resumes through internships and mentoring activities, and interact with senior leaders across academia, industry and government. Graduate student Members are also eligible to apply for Science Alliance Leadership Training, a free 5-day intensive workshop that is a true career game-changer.
4) Member directory: Available exclusively to Academy Members, the Directory enables you to search for others in the World's Smartest Network®.
5) Professional mentoring: Need advice from an experienced professional? Student/Postdoc Members can request a personal mentor from the Academy’s global network of over 20,000 scientists and engineers.
General Contact Information
Share your contact information so we can know the best ways to reach you
First Name *
Last Name *
Personal Email Address *
College Email Address
Mobile Phone Number *
Home Phone Number
What is your major? *
What is your anticipated graduation date? *
What is your current city and state of residence? *
What is your preferred gender identity? *
What year were you born? *
What ethnicity do you identify with? *
What is your home town/city and state? *
What college are you currently attending? *
What type of degree program are you enrolled in? *
What college year are you in? *
What are your aspirations after college? *
Do you identify as: *
Are you eligible to receive a Pell Grant? *
Are you an international student? *
Do you live on campus or off campus? *
Emergency Contact Person's Phone Number *
Emergency Contact Person *
Have you participated in any mentorship program previously? If you have, please specify the program. *
Please share any insights from your previous mentorship program.
How did you hear about the Collective Success Network STEM Pilot? *
Please share 3 reasons you are interested in participating in the Collective Success Network STEM Pilot? *
What challenges have you faced or anticipate facing in college related to your status as a first generation and/or low income student? *
What are 2 objectives/goals you have for this academic year? *
Is there anything else you would like us to know?
By completing this application, I understand that the next step is a follow-up phone conversation (20 minutes). Upon selection into the program, I am committed to an orientation session (1 hour) and monthly meetings (1 hour each) during the year. Failure to participate may result in being removed from the program. *
Thank you for completing the CSN STEM Pilot application! We look forward to meeting you at a Collective Success event.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Urban Affairs Coalition. Report Abuse