Solo Jazz/20s Charleston Video Series
At Jazz Inc, we have always tried to give our students tools for them to have a framework to learning and becoming better dancers. It is never just about being the steps, but about how we learn, why we learn - to become more aware of our bodies and the presence of an other whom we are dancing with, and about relationships - with each other, with the steps, with the history, and with the music.
We have always tried to give individual comments to students to help them become dancers, and we often talk about deep structures to facilitate learning through seeing patterns, in addition to talking about the history of the steps where relevant.
We have decided against live group classes because, in addition to possible bandwidth/syncing problems, we feel that it is counter-productive to try and simulate the physicality of a studio class online through a screen, and that would also be difficult for us to look at you dancing on the screen.
Here’s the format for our video classes:
1. Videos will be released on the evening of the day of the class, for you to access, and learn at your own pace and time.
2. Each class will consist of approximately 15-30mins of video instructional time, depending on the week with breakdown of the steps, along with the transition between steps, and a sectional recap. If you need to look at the steps/transition/section again, simply go back
3. Students will be part of a WhatsApp group where the student can attempt to clarify parts they are unsure of and the teacher will respond when appropriate
5. Each student will then submit the video homework for the class (usually the segment of the routine), whereby the teacher will review and comment. We suggest you do this before the next class, so that we can all proceed. This gives a better sense of accountability and facilitates learning. But if you can't no worries, video when you can.
6. The teacher will also clarify certain parts of the routine or previous class based on the videos received. We will do live streaming meetups if the need arises to address issues or to practice together.
In There: a choreography, with Tatiana Udry Macedo (France) & Sinclair Ang (Singapore) - 5 videos and video feedback
Past courses available:
Frankie Doo (Frankie’s Tranky Doo) Routine (3 videos - 2 for choreography and 1 for variations/styling)
Al & Leon Shim sham (2 videos), comes with "original" Shim Sham w/variations (1 video)
1920s Charleston Routine I by Denise Lwin: Wa Wa Wa by The Bridgetown (2 videos)
1920s Charleston Routine II by Denise Lwin: We Cats Will Swing for You by The Cats and The Fiddle (5 videos)
Solo Jazz Fundamentals (10 videos, 3hrs of material): covering basic to advanced moves, along with concepts and learning how to put steps together meaningfully, as well as learning combos and a choreography
You may join these courses at any time, and we will send older videos to you and you can then send your video "homework" for feedback at your own pace.
Stay safe, healthy, home and keep swingin!
Please leave your NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS and MOBILE NUMBER to register
Current courses I'd like to subscribe to:
In There: a choreography with Tatiana & Sinclair (SGD165 for 5 videos x feedback, SGD85 for full time students)
Completed video courses I'd like to subscribe to:
1920s Wa Wa Wa Charleston routine (SGD25 for videos only, SGD45 total including 2 video feedback)
1920s Charleston Routine II: We Cats Will Swing It For You (SGD50 videos only, SGD80 total with 3 video feedback)
Al & Leon Shim Sham with original Shim Sham + variations (SGD40 videos only, SGD60 total with 2 video feedback))
Frankie Doo Routine (SGD40 videos only, SGD60 total including 2 video feedback)
All 4 routines above (SGD100 videos only)
Individual Solo Jazz Fundamentals Class (SGD15/class, SGD25 including video feedback): See next section for class options
Solo Jazz Fundamentals Course (SGD125 videos only, SGD210 total including 8 video feedback)
All routines + Solo Jazz Fundamentals Course (SGD210 for 23 videos)
Solo Jazz Fundamentals Class Breakdown & Options
1. Basics and Concepts (13:30): Learn the basic steps that make up the dance, along with concepts of improvisation and groove
2. Putting Steps together (33:40) - Learn the more challenging steps which also form the core movement of the dance, along with putting the steps together
3. The Shim Sham (31:05) - Learn how to do the iconic tap routine that has become a basic authentic jazz routine for Lindy Hoppers, along with variations and ideas on how to make it different
4. Fun Steps and Structuring Combos (12:20) - Learn how do some more steps that don’t involve any or much rhythm but also part of the vernacular, as well as how to meaningfully put your steps together to dance
5. The Half and Half (15:41) - Learn how to break up your steps so that you can better express the your movement musically, and to explore how the steps can be combined to create exiting combos.
6. Rhythmic Break Steps (10:44) - Learn some tricky rhythmic steps that can also help to end each of your dance phrase
7. Trick Steps in Combos (21:19) - Learn some of the more tricky steps in the dance and learn how to structure them in combos you can use to express the music
8. Traditional Combos (12:24) - Learn some of the great combos from traditional routines Frankie Doo and learning how to do the steps starting on different legs
9. Traditional Combos II (16:40) - Learn more great combos from traditional routines like Al & Leon Shim Sham, as well as the Big Apple Contest routine, and practice them starting on different legs.
10. Strictly Instrumental: A Choreography (11:19) - Learn a choreography to Harry James’s song “Strictly Instrumental” and see how all the combos you’ve learnt can be used through changing rhythms or shapes to fit the music
Classes 1-6 only (SGD75, SGD135 including video feedback)
Classes 7-10 only (SGD60, SGD100 including video feedback)
Credit monies to 128-13161-2 POSB Savings, or PayNow/Paylah +6596258665, or Paypal.me/jazzinc to receive access to videos. Do email
or message +6596258665 once payment is made.
I understand that there are no refunds for the course and Jazz Inc can change the details of courses at any time and is not responsible for any injuries or losses sustained during the course. Should course be rescheduled, you will be refunded your monies
I agree to not share the videos with anyone else who has not purchased them in support of Jazz Inc
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service