The first Hearing on this legislation will take place before the Maryland House of Delegates' Judicial Committee, and is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13 at 1:00 p.m. in Annapolis. We encourage all ED nurses to attend this hearing to show support for the bill. The Senate companion bill to HB0894 has not yet been introduced, and therefore, we do not have the Senate Hearing date.
In preparation for this hearing, we are asking you to share YOUR story of workplace violence that occurred in a MARYLAND hospital, where a patient or patient's family member verbally threatened you or physically assaulted you or your coworkers. Here's what you need to know before you complete the form:
1. When writing your story, do not identify the name of the facility, or provide any other significant identifying information about the facility in which the violence took place. Rather, just say that this event occurred in a Maryland hospital. Do not provide the names for the people involved, but do provide their role in the ED. (i.e., say "security officer" as opposed to "Joe Smith from Maryland's Best Medical Center").
2. Keep your story short. Limit it so that it can be read in less than 2 minutes. Set your timer for 2 minutes and read back your story.
3. Complete and submit this survey no later than Thursday, February 28, 2019. MDENA will submit all written testimonies to the House and Senate Judiciary Committees before the hearings so that the legislators have time to read them. MDENA's Government Affairs Committee Chairperson will select several of the stories to be read aloud during these televised hearings. If your story is chosen for oral testimony you will be contacted to see if you are willing and able to read your testimony to the committees. If you do not feel comfortable or are unable to provide oral testimony, a member of the Government Affairs Committee will read it for you in your absence. Maryland ENA members will be present a the hearings to guide and support you through this process.
4. When providing legislative testimony, you must provide all the demographic info that is asked of you in the below survey. You will need to enter the number of your legislative district. To find you legislative district, click the link or copy and paste the website below into your browser's search bar. Scroll all the way in to your exact address before choosing the legislative district. www.mdelect.net
5. If you have any questions, comments or concerns about providing your story, please email MDENAGovtAffairs@gmail.com
6. Sometimes recalling violent events can be difficult. If you experience any strong emotions or distress while completing this form, please seek assistance from your Employee Assistance Program or primary care provider.