Pirate Online Academy Application Form
Understanding the concerns of families hesitant to send their child into a school setting during the COVID-19 pandemic, Greensburg Community Schools is offering an at-home distance learning option (Pirate Online Academy) for the 2020-2021 academic year. It is our hope that these services will keep you connected to our schools in anticipation of your child’s eventual return in person. The district’s chosen digital learning platforms were selected because they meet the priority standards and essential skills at each grade level.
Acknowledgements and Agreements
By making the request for consideration to participate in the Pirate Online Academy, you acknowledge and agree to the following:
1. I have registered my child in Greensburg Community Schools for the 2020-2021 academic year (
2. The digital learning curriculum will focus on the grade level essentials (core coursework) with minimal to no electives available. The chosen curriculum varies by building:
*3-5: Study Island
*6-12: Apex (NOTE: This educational option/choice is not affiliated with the Greensburg Achievement School.)
3. Participation will be closely monitored and subject to district attendance and truancy policies.
4. Any grades and/or credits earned will go on the student’s permanent academic record.
5. Distance learning through a digital platform requires more independence on the part of the student and family.
6. Immediate access to school resources and personnel will not be the same as a student receiving instruction in-person, but GCS pledges to be timely in our response as resources permit.
7. Requests to exit the Pirate Online Academy and return to traditional school instruction will be considered at the end of each nine week period for grades K-8 and at the end of the semester for grades 9-12. Parents must inform the front office in writing for such a request by December 1, 2020.
8. Families who are opting for their child to receive virtual instruction out of concerns for COVID-19 will not be allowed to participate in extra and co-curricular activities. These matters may be handled on a case by case basis.
9. By choosing to participate in the Pirate Online Academy, the student/family for grades 9-12 acknowledges that the choice could impact a student's eligibility for dual credit.
I acknowledge and agree to the expectations outlined above.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Greensburg Community Schools.