BREAKTHROUGH HOUSTON CONNECT SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM APPLICATION '19-'20
SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM CALENDAR OF DATES
****ALL applicants must be available on November 16th for teacher orientation!****
Saturday Session Dates and Times
Saturday, November 16th, 2019 - Location TBD - 9:00 am – 11:30am - TEACHER ORIENTATION
Saturday, December 7th, 2019 - Location TBD - 9:00 am – 11:30am
Saturday, January 11th, 2020 - Location TBD- 9:00 am – 11:30am
Saturday, February 15th, 2020 - Location TBD - 9:00 am – 11:30am
Saturday, March 7th, 2020 - Location TBD - 9:00 am - 11:30am
Saturday, March 28th, 2020 - Location TBD - 9:00 am – 11:30am
Saturday, April 25th, 2020 - Location TBD - 9:00 am – 11:30am
BACKGROUND INFORMATION; TWO-FOLD MISSION
Breakthrough aims to prepare students who possess high academic potential, but limited educational resources, for competitive high-school programs and college admission. In addition, we train talented college and high-school students for careers in education.
At Breakthrough Houston, we envision a day when all children will have equal and equitable access to quality education and teachers committed to their academic success.
- BTH is a tuition-free, year-round academic program.
- BTH focuses its attention on academically talented students with limited educational
- Our students attend Houston ISD schools.
- Our students make a six-year commitment to our program: two years in middle school; four in high school.
- Students begin the program in their summer following 6th grade. The program consists of a three rigorous six-week summer sessions, a School Year Program, and a College Bound Program.
A BTH SYP STUDENT TEACHER VOLUNTEER'S COMMITMENT
As a Breakthrough Houston SYP volunteer teacher, please understand that you will be committing to the following:
- Attend all scheduled School Year Program sessions (must have own transportation) unless there’s an emergency and/or you communicate potential conflicts ahead of time.
- Come to the two mandatory orientation on Saturday, Sept. 21st & September 28th.
- Arrive and depart SYP sessions at the times designated (as listed on the School Year Teacher Application 2019-2020).
- Plan and coordinate all Saturday SYP lessons with your team teacher and your Instructional Coach. This is to be done prior to arriving to teach on the SYP Saturday.
- Arrive for each Saturday session with materials and lessons prepared.
- To the best of your ability, productively use all time on Saturdays for the purposes of teaching and advising BTH students.
- Hold your students and yourself to the highest reasonable expectations.
- Act toward your students, your fellow volunteers, and your Directors in a professional, courteous, and respectful manner, and expect the same from them.
- Give at least a 48 hour notice to the Program Director if an emergency arises and you anticipate having to miss a Saturday session.
If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact Mira K. Shah (
Breakthrough Houston at Connect
Office phone: 346-339-2684
(please provide an email address that you check often)
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of St. John's School.