Theme and Subthemes
● The theme for CEM13/MI-7 is Rapid Innovation and Deployment. This means accelerating the pace and scale of innovation of energy technologies through collaboration and shared strategies, as well as shortening the innovation-to-deployment continuum to deploy commercially viable technologies at the pace and scale needed to combat the climate crisis in this urgent decade of delivery. Technologies in the showcase should reflect this theme.
● Technologies may also reflect the subthemes of the GCEAF:
● Jobs and Community: The transition to a net-zero energy system will lead to an overall increase in energy sector jobs, yet the prospect for uneven effects requires careful management of the clean energy transition. A focus on workers and communities is crucial to ensuring that the future zero-emissions economy creates opportunities for everyone. Implementation will involve every sector of society – including scientists, engineers, builders, educators, consumers, policy officials, and youth.
● Technology Transformation: A wide array of emerging energy technologies, from smarter electricity grids to better batteries to more efficient manufacturing, stand to reduce global emissions while supercharging the clean energy economy. The world needs more innovation to fully unlock the benefits of many technologies under development and to drive down the cost of nascent and existing technologies. We must develop strategies to accelerate the innovation, research, development, demonstration, and deployment of those technologies to speed their contribution to the global energy transformation.
● Unprecedented Deployment: Governments and industry have made laudable progress towards decarbonization, yet global emissions are still increasing, although many of the technologies necessary to reverse this trend are already available. To meet our climate goals, we must develop creative ways to dramatically accelerate global commercial deployment of clean energy technologies over the next decade and beyond.