Mind the gap: Women in STE(A)M (October 17th, 2019)
We invite you for a debate on the topic of Women in STE(A)M, where we will address challenges and propose solutions on the topic with the help of our experts from US, Slovenia and Croatia. These women represent all sectors - from business, public sector, government and civil society and will share first hand experiences they got in the profession.
When? October 17th, 2019 at 3PM
Where: Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana
Who? All interested in the topic, we encourage to challenge various opinions
The talk will be in English.
• dr. Kim Binsted, USA
• dr. Maja Mačinko Kovač, Croatia (HiddenNoMore 2018)
• Martina Vuk, Ministry of Education, Science and Sports
• dr. Hojka Gregorič Kumperščak, Slovenia
• dr. Emilija Stojmenova Duh, Slovenia
Guest of Honor: Ksenija Klampfer, Minister of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities
Moderator: Luka Mohorič, Animacel, Slovenija
Sheryl Sandberg once said that “when you write a line of code, you can affect a lot of people.” Half of humanity are women and therefore, they cannot be left out of the design of algorithms that will shape our common future society.
Moreover, there are several challenges to women in ICT and tech fields:
- the payment gap
- gender biased technology outcomes (voice recognition, etc.)
- work-life balance (balancing family and career)
- study shows, nearly two-thirds of women in tech say their ideas are ignored until a man repeats them (Dice, 2018)
- women founders get less attention from VCs and raise severly less capital for their startups
- Women face biases and barriers at all turns within the scientific community, from publishing, funding and hiring, to promotion to more senior positions.
We expect a vivid debate and invite you to join us - the time to (re)act is now!
Team DIHS (
Name and Surname
Phone number (to be reached in case of urgent notification):
With this submission I confirm to attend the event and allow to potentially appear on video or photo materials of the event, which will be used for promotion.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Digital Innovation Hub Slovenia.