Borrowers must agree by the following guidelines:
1. Only Rice faculty, students, and staff may borrow equipment. You may not check out equipment if your account is blocked due to fine or over dues.
2. Student borrowers are required to have a faculty or staff member sponsor them, validating that the equipment will be used for a university-sponsored event and that they will assume any responsibility for damage. However, for faculty and staff, no additional sponsor is required. Rice faculty and staff can be their own sponsor.
3. Borrowers are required to watch the training videos on use of the equipment during checkout for the first time.
4. Equipment can only be checked out by one of the DMC’s professional staff members so borrowers are advised to make an appointment to check out the equipment to ensure that the appropriate staff member will be available. The checkout period is 72 hours and no renewal is allowed. There is a $0.50 per hour late fee for overdue items (each component counts as a separate item).
5. Equipment sign-out privileges may be revoked at any time without warning due to wrong operation of equipment, careless handling of equipment, or repeated lateness. For example: an unattended camera is considered careless handling.
6. The borrower is responsible for returning all equipment received in the same condition as when received. Equipment must be returned to the DMC and checked in by a professional staff member. The borrower will be responsible to pay the cost of replacement of any equipment not returned, or equipment returned which is damaged beyond repair. The borrower will be responsible to pay the repair cost (not to exceed the replacement cost) of any equipment that is returned in damaged condition. The value of the equipment is as follows: