Date of the event: Saturday, Oct 8th, at 12:00 PM
RULES GOVERNING PARADE PERMITS
To ensure reasonable safety to life and property in the operations of parade floats, automobiles, and similar conveyances within the city limits of Ashland.
- Materials used in construction, decoration, etc. must be flame retardant. Materials such as straw or hay
must also be treated.
- Where a person is within a flat, such as the driver, there shall be no combustible material within five (5)
feet of his/her exit way.
- Motorized floats, or floats pulled by a motorized vehicle, and automobiles shall be equipped with a fire
extinguisher with a classification of at least 2A 10BC (When vehicle and trailer are connected as a single
unit, one extinguisher will meet this requirement). Bicycles, motorcycles, boats, and go-carts are not
required to carry extinguishers.
- Horse-drawn wagons and other non-motorized conveyances using straw or other combustible material shall carry fire extinguishers as prescribed above.
- NO SMOKING is allowed on any float and no person shall cause or permit any open flame upon or within
the area of any float.
- No combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than two (2) vehicles.
- Vehicles towing trailers must be equipped with a tow bar or coupling device of sufficient strength to hold
the weight of the towed vehicle upon the street when operated.
- Vehicles towing trailers shall be equipped with safety chains, connected to the towed and towing vehicles and to the tow bar to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar or
coupling device fails.
- Safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.
- A float may not exceed 40-feet in length and 13 feet 2 inches in height.
- Vehicles and floats shall stay in their assigned position in the parade, and maintain 20 FEET
- Operators of vehicles shall not have their vision obstructed.
- Persons riding on floats shall be located on the main part of the float and positioned so they will not
obstruct the vision of the operator.
- Persons shall remain on the unit to which they are assigned to the end of the parade route, except in case of emergency.
- No unit shall disband until reaching the destination indicated on the permit, except in case of breakdown
- The drinking, display, or possession or alcoholic beverages or other intoxicants or controlled
substances is absolutely prohibited. City ordinances and state laws will be enforced.
- The discharge of firearms, fireworks, or other explosive devices is prohibited. Violators will be
- The throwing of objects or substances into the crowd is prohibited. Candy, balloons, or small items may be dropped in front of the crowd along the street.