- All entrants (including skits) will be given 2 minutes (maximum) to walk the catwalk and parade their costume or perform their skit, but you do not have to use all this time if you don’t want to.
- Entrants will be expected to answer questions asked by the hosts, or judges, pertaining to their costume and character. Question time will go for up to 1 minute, and will be independent of the 2 minute stage time.
- If you or your group require longer than the allocated time you must have your reason approved prior to the event.
- ‘Surprises’ must be approved by the organiser. This includes radical changes in clothing, lighting, or action. If in doubt, just ask! To avoid any unwanted surprises, a rehearsal/dry run video of any radical costume change or skit must be submitted a month prior (June 16th 2017) to the event, this is so our Competition team know how your skit etc. is supposed to go and will know if any deviations are made so they can react accordingly.
- Offensive or rude behaviour will not be tolerated and may result in disqualification.
- Complete every field on the Cosplay Online Registration Form without exception.
- After your registration has been accepted and processed by the AVCon Cosplay Officer, you will be sent a confirmation email containing an ‘Entry Number’ for you (and any others in your group) you must print off the email with the entry number for cosplay marshalling on the day.
- You must prepare your prejudging material. A prejudging pack will be emailed to you upon successful application.
- You are allowed to have a stage hand if you require one. Like you, they must have their own pass to AVCon (valid for day on competition) and you must nominate them on the form.
- Send all final and relevant media files & information by the 16th of June. Any media submissions after this date will not be accepted.
- Comply with convention rules. Any unacceptable behaviour will result in dismissal from the event.
- Arrive early at the Cosplay Prejudging area; if you are late you won’t be pre-judged.
- Have your prejudging material on hand. If you have forgotten this or it is in a format other than specified it will not be judged.
- Arrive early at the Cosplay Marshalling time; if you are late you will not go on stage.
- If you have music or a video to go with your entry, then as well as sending it with your registration, also bring a backup copy on a USB drive labelled with your name.
*Origin meaning that the character comes from a series that started as a Tokusatsu, Table top game, Video game, Japanese Anime or Manga.One of AVCon’s core values is the promotion of Video games, Japanese Anime and Japanese culture; this is why we have made these parameters for AVCon’s Cosplay Competition.
- Must not have won prizes in any other competitions. However entrants may still parade their costume during the AVCon Cosplay Parade. Competitors later proven to have worn costumes that have already won awards at other competitions will have their prizes revoked and awarded to the next suitable entrant.
- You will be required to supply established character reference material for your cosplay. If you have to create reference material, we will unfortunately be unable to accept your entry.
- Must be suitable for a family audience, this also applies to skits! Costumes and skits not following this rule will be disqualified and denied entry to AVCon’s Cosplay Competition until 2019.
- 70% of the costume must have been constructed by the entrant.
- Entrants that have been cosplaying for less than two years and have not won any major prizes or completed related studies at a tertiary level may enter as an “amateur” cosplayer.
- Entrants that have been cosplaying for more than two years and have won a prize from any cosplay competition or completed related studies at a tertiary level may enter as an “experienced” cosplayer.
- No incendiary devices or laser pointers will be permitted.
- No weapons are to be brandished at another attendee, or the competition hosts, without prior warning and approval of the organiser.
- All props must comply with the AVCon Weapons and Props Policy: https://www.avcon.org.au/info/legal/
- There can be no confetti or rubbish or glass used as props, what you take on stage you must be able to take off stage as well.
Judges and organisers may revoke prizes if costumes are proven to have been either won awards previously, not made by the entrant (where applicable) or are otherwise unsuitable for competition placement.
Pre-Judging of entrants will be based on the following criteria:CraftsmanshipCharacter Accuracy/CreativityAttention to detailLevel of difficultyLevel of creativity
Judging of entrants will be based on the following criteria: CraftsmanshipCharacter Accuracy/CreativityAttention to detailStage PresenceSkit performance, if any
Best Male Character - This prize is for the best depiction of a male character, regardless of the gender of the entrant.
Best Experienced Cosplayer – This prize is awarded to experienced cosplayers and those that feel they have a higher level of costuming skill.
Best Amateur Cosplayer - This prize is awarded to first time entrants, and those who still feel they are at a beginner’s level in regards to costume skill.
Best Skit - This prize is for the entrant or group that best depicts their character and/or performs an entertaining skit. All entrants with a skit are automatically entered into this category.
Best Group Cosplay – This prize is for the group cosplay that best depicts their characters and may contain group members that are both amateur and experienced cosplayers.
Winners of each Category are announced and prizes are given at the end of the event after a short deliberation time for the judges.
Once your application has been processed and accepted AVCon will send a confirmation email with you entry number.
To discourage no shows on the day of competition, if the notification of your entry withdrawal isn’t made by the 1st of July, Entries that do not arrive in time for the start of marshalling will be disqualified and denied entry from AVCon’s Cosplay Competition until 2019.
Entries close on Saturday the 17th of June at 11:59pm. Spots are limited, so once filled entries are closed, even if it is earlier than the 17th of June, Be prepared and send in your registration early, so you don’t miss out!
If you have any questions regarding the Application form or AVCon’s Cosplay competition, feel free to email email@example.com and please allow for up to a week when expecting a response.