Below is a suggested list of items for you to purchase, but you are certainly not limited to the list. Cost will range from $40 - $60 depending on the size of the family.
8-10 lb Turkey (2lbs per person)2 cans of broth or gravy5 lb bag of potatoes2 cans of green beans or corn1 bag of stuffing mix1 can cranberry sauce or jar of applesauce1 bag of rolls or 1 tube of crescent rollsDessert – pies – apple or pumpkin pie1 container of cool whip If inclined - other non-perishable items (canned goods, cereals, etc.) for post-Thanksgiving.
How to go about delivering your meal to your family:
1) Please make contact with your family ASAP and let them know that you received their name from Dutton Elementary School and will be providing them their Thanksgiving meal. Some families start to panic if they do not hear from you and wonder if they will be getting a meal. Making this contact will alleviate some anxiety.
2) If you have trouble contacting your family please reach out to Klas Hjelm @ 616-430-2705 and he will get in touch with the school to see if we can get additional contact info.
3) When talking with your family, ask them for any food allergies or types of food they prefer. For example: “What is your favorite kind of pie?”
4) Set up a time to deliver the meal (Nov. 15th – 20th)
5) Pick up Journey invite cards (from Discover Journey Hub in the lobby) and include them in the box you are using to deliver the food.
6) Remember to keep this family confidential--especially if you see them in the community or if your kids know their kids. Often times it is hard to be on the receiving end of generosity and some families may be embarrassed or they may not know how to express their thankfulness. Please do not take offense if they do not react in a way you think they should. Remember that we are giving out of the abundance of love, compassion, and kindness that God has given to us. We want to share the love of Christ more than we want to provide a meal.
7) On that note, we would challenge you: You now know a family that has some need. Consider adding this family to your prayer list and praying for them on a regular basis, even past the holiday season. There is no telling what kind of change will happen in this family’s life because of your influence and prayer!