The Selection Process includes the following procedural steps:
1. The completed application must be received by Janice Yetter no later than Friday March 1, 2019. Please mail or hand deliver to Janice Yetter, County Diagnostic Center, 5451 Beaverkill Road, Columbia, MD 21044. 2. Prospective students must attend ONE of the skills assessment/interview days to be held on March 26, 28, 29, at the Dorsey Building, 9250 Bendix Road, Columbia, MD 21045. A parent or legal guardian must accompany the student for the assessment. This day counts as a college visit for school purposes. You will be given a form for an excused absence. If school is cancelled due to weather conditions, the event will be rescheduled. 3. The Selection Committee will review the applications, and all students will get notice of their status via mail by mid May.4. If accepted, the student and a parent or legal guardian will be invited to an information night to be held in the end of May.5. If accepted, each student may be required to pass a criminal background check and drug screen.6. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Terrell Savage, Coordinator of Special Education 410-313-5350 or Janice Yetter, Instructional Facilitator for High Schools 410-313-5355.
* The Selection Committee will include the Host Site Liaison from Howard County Government, Project SEARCH Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) Liaison, representatives from Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) (vocational rehabilitation), the Arc of Howard County and other agency/school system representatives.
X Be at least 18 years of age adn entering their last year in the Howard County Public School System (either after 12th grade or at age 21).
X Meet eligibility requirements for DORS (vocational rehabilitation).
X Meet eligibility requirements for the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA).
X Demonstrate ability to perform job tasks independently for several hours without direct supervision.
X Maintain appropriate behavior and social skills in the workplace and school setting.
X Take direction from supervisors.
X Be able to communicate effectively.
X Demonstrate good attendance.
X Have the desire and plan to work competitively in the community at the conclusion of the Project SEARCH program.
* January 18, 2019 (Snow date: February 1, 2019): Project SEARCH Parent Information Night 7:00 to 8:00pm Howard County Board of Education Building, Board Rooms A and B 10910 Route 108 Ellicott City, MD 21042
* March 1, 2019: Project SEARCH applications due to Janice Yetter Department of Special Education 5451 Beaverkill Road Columbia, MD 21044
* March 26, 2019 March 28, 2019 March 29, 2019 Student Skills Assessment & Interview Thomas Dorsey Building 9250 Bendix Road Columbia, MD 21045
* May 2019: Acceptance notices mailed to families
* May/June 2019: Project SEARCH Welcome Meeting for students and parents
* August 2019: New Student & Family Orientation evening The Arch of Howard County 11735 Homewood Road Ellicott City, MD 21045
* September 2019: First day of Project SEARCH academic year