Parole Preparation Project Volunteer Application
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering with the Parole Preparation Project. Please fill out the form below and we will inform volunteers of their status as we're able to.
A note about our application and the volunteer commitment:
In the application you'll notice some questions about identity and demographics. We're asking for this information because we prioritize applications from people of color, people who have been directly impacted by incarceration in some way and people who speak Spanish. Please share whatever feels comfortable for you in those sections, and thank you in advance for your responses.
After all applications have been submitted, we will select the 90 or so individuals who will join the Project. They will be invited to a mandatory training. We will also inform those who are not selected, and will provide alternative ways for you to stay involved.
Before starting this application, we want you to be prepared for the commitment that being a volunteer requires. Once you've read the list below and feel ready to commit, check the box and move on to the next section.
- Work in teams of 2-3 people and support one applicant in prison in New York State
- Work for about 8-12 months on a single case.
- Spend about 3-5 hours per week on an applicant's case, with more time spent at the beginning and end of the assignment. Work can be done in the evenings and on weekends.
- Travel at least three times to the prison where the applicant is located, noting that some prisons are 4+ hours away (driving not required, although a willingness to travel is). Also note that all costs related to travel are reimbursed by the project!
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings in downtown Manhattan
- Attend a mandatory racial justice and anti-oppression training
- Check in regularly with supervisors for feedback and support