The Raising Calculus to the Surface and Vector Calculus Bridge Project workshop
will be held Sunday evening, June 25 through Thursday afternoon, June 29th, 2023 at Concordia University in Irvine, California. These two projects support:
- A Geometric approach to Multivariable and Vector Calculus
- Course content built upon student ideas and discoveries
- Students working in small groups with context-rich problems
- Whole class discussion
During this professional development workshop, instructors will gain insight into the types of discussions and insights students have in the classroom during the activities, discuss how to promote those small group discussions into the whole class, and how to capitalize on student ideas and discussion to support new concepts in the course. Prior experience teaching multivariable or vector calculus is helpful, but the workshop is appropriate for all instructors regardless of experience.
Funding from the National Science Foundation will support 24 instructors to participate in the workshop. This funding provides:
- Travel support ($750, which could be divided among participants from one institution)
- Local accommodations (lodging and meals, Sunday evening through Thursday lunch)
- Instructional materials, including a classroom kit with 12 surfaces (sufficient for a classroom with 36 students)
The information you provide on this application will help us learn about your interests and reasons for wanting to attend the workshop.
Applications are due by March 15th. Decisions will be announced the following week.