There are 4 categories available to enter. The registration process is first come first served. The categories are:
● BEST DECORATED
● MADE BY KIDS (ages 5 - 10 years old). In this category, you can bake whatever you like.
● MADE BY KIDS (ages 11 - 16 years old). In this category, you can bake whatever you like.
● SECRET INGREDIENT. Do you have a recipe that calls for something not usually found in cakes? Perhaps you have a great recipe that incorporates bacon, chipotle, avocados or garlic?
Judging will take place prior to the general public entry into the venue. They will assess the entries and award a grand prize, 2nd place and 3rd place prizes in each category. In general, all cakes (irrelevant of category) will be judged on the following criteria:
● Flavor (aroma, taste, good balance of flavorings)● Texture (moist and tender, not soggy or dry)● Inside characteristics (even grain, evenly baked)● Outside characteristics (consistent shape/size/surface, overall appeal)● Frosting (taste, texture, even color and application)
In addition the following categories will be assessed as follows:
● The BEST DECORATED category will be judged first on appearance (design, decorations, colors, techniques), then by the characteristics noted above.
● The SECRET INGREDIENT category will be judged on how unique your ingredient is but also on how good your cake tastes of course!
● The FAN FAVORITE winner will be chosen from all 4 categories prior to the end of the event after the attendee’s ballots have been counted. There will be a single FAN FAVORITE winner who will be awarded a grand prize.
Bakers must be present during the contest to cut/serve their cake. Bakers will bake 2 cakes. One of the cakes submitted needs to be equivalent to a minimum of 2-layer 8” round cake and no larger than 24x36”, serving platform included. The second cake submission will be one small cake enough for 3 judges to taste. Bakers must bring their own serving tray and utensils (knife, server, etc). Cakes must be homemade from scratch (no mixes). All ingredients must be edible. Bakers will need to submit in writing all ingredients in the cake.
All Cake-Off4Kids attendees will be able to taste ANY cake in the competition. After official tasting by the judges, attendees will be able to taste a small portion of cake from any of the entries in the competition and vote on their favorite cake entry in the FAN FAVORITE CATEGORY. Cake tasting is on a first-come, first-served basis until a cake is finished.