Some of the art that adds to the Ignite! experience and the city of Combustia are fueled by art grants. Visions of our community that transform Spirithaven’s landscape to be a burner city. Continuing this year, we have the center stage area (our Center Campus) and invite you to think about that space for art grant support (more info on Center Campus stage booking for the 2nd Ignite! Spark Fire Variety Show soon). If you saw the show last year, you may have an idea for the possibilities. We invite you to contribute to that experience and would love to hear your ideas and see if we can help fund their completion!
Anyone can apply for an art grant; you don't have to be a professional or even consider yourself an artist. We want YOU to make something to share! This is an all ages opportunity. If under age 18, the individual must have an adult sponsor that is approved by their parent or guardian (if not one of those). If you are an adult burner with some creative youngin’s, work with them to help pitch and develop their ideas and let’s bring some of their art to Combustia!
All forms of creativity may apply; in addition to fire and lights. Other iterations of creativity are: performance art, costuming for stage acts, interactive installations, sculptures great and small, floating and flying dreams, and ephemeral experiences. You can engage any or all of the five senses, and give us an experience to take home that we won’t find anywhere else. The number of projects we will fund is not limited, but the total amount of funds we have to distribute will limit the final results.
Also let us know if you are interested in being part of Jury Duty! Jury will convene before January 22nd 2018. Jurors are expected to not be part of the applicant pool, and are asked to disclose if they know of a blinded project while on the jury call.
This document outlines the following elements: Process, Exemptions, Selection Criteria, and Application Requirements.
Please be thorough in your responses and include pictures! Projects that are thoroughly yet concisely described with images included have been the most successful at receiving funding. Clear budgets, concept images, and attention to detail helps the jury see your vision. We have worked hard to level the playing field, so read through everything and show us how amazing the art will be this year.
Please forward any questions, images, renderings, and other support materials electronically to email@example.com.
Read this form thoroughly and fill it out early so you don't forget!
Remember: You only have until Sunday, December 31st 2017!
Share your creativity with the Ignite family!
Process & Schedule:* Ignite 2018 - Friday May 25- Monday May 28th (Memorial Day weekend)
* Tuesday Oct. 3, 2017 - Announcement: Art Grants Are Open * Dec. 31, 2017 - All Applications Received
* Dec. 31, 2017 - Jury Recruitment Begins
* January 3th - 22th 2018 - Jury Process (The jury reviews blinded applications, scores, selects projects, and recommends funding via conference call TBD)
* Jan 23rd - Applicants, IPA, and Ignite Treasurer are notified of their selection and funding
* Feb. 15th - first payment of 60% checks out to artists
* Feb/March/April/May - Artists proceed with fabrication/construction process
* Mid/March - April 1st - Proof of substantial completion will be due for distribution of the second payment of 30%
* Thursday May 25th - Delivery and installation at Ignite!
* Early June - Final Payment of 10% received after the event (possible final payment on site tbd)
There are limits to what Ignite will fund for these projects. Consider the following as you develop your concept. Exemptions from funding:
• Individual Theme Camp (note that creativity placed within Theme Camps can be considered)
• Artists' time, labor, or personal transportation costs
• Theme Camp Infrastructure (structures, bar, sound systems, lighting, etc.)
• Large scale equipment, including durable items mainly intended for personal use
• Projects that where previously funded cannot be funded again (with limited exceptions)
• Feasibility: Physical - Financial - Schedule - Is it well thought out and realistic?
• Community Engagement/Interaction - Does it engage burners and add to the Ignite Experience?
• Safety - Is it safe, in regard to fire, heights, sharp metal, or other physical danger? Remember this is an all ages event. Children will be present.
• Leave No Trace Environmental Concerns – Is it effective within the Spirithaven environment? Does it adhere to burner principles?
• Jury Preference/Personal Appeal The jury considers if it is something they would personally like to see at Ignite.
Application information and details are listed below - be thorough and concise, noting when elements are not applicable (N/A).