The Women’s March has issued a call for a national school walkout on March 14th to demand Congress pass legislation that keeps us safe from gun violence. March for Our Lives is planning a march on Washington, D.C. on March 24th. Protest Plays Project is heeding their call for creative allies and asking theaters and theatre artists to join us in supporting these important civic actions.
Protest Plays Project is asking Theaters & Theatre Artists to commit to taking one/all of the following support actions in the month of March:
- Present public readings of plays about/inspired by gun violence
- Create space for additional avenues of creative action: Music, dance, spoken word, etc.
- Open your spaces to local #Enough and #MarchForOurLives organizers
Protest Plays can help you find plays to present as Free Readings or as Fundraisers for Gun Control/Reform advocacy groups! Over 200 plays have been “donated” to theaters for free readings in support of these events. This list includes independently shared plays via the New Play Exchange (list/links on www.ProtestPlays.org
- Caridad Svich and NoPassport, Theater J and force/collision have made their 24 Gun Control
Plays and AFTER ORLANDO plays available to theatres for free readings in support of this
- Claudia Alick has made The Every 28 Hours Plays available to theatres as well
- Playwrights Say Never Again, a new collection of plays inspired by school
shootings, is also available via our website
-You can also work with artists in your own networks to compose your own, original
As theatre artists, we understand the power of story. During this time of grave legislative complacency on the subject of Gun Reform, it is of vital importance we use our talents and skills to cultivate opportunities for engagement, empathy, and constructive discourse in the hopes of enacting change. We hope you’ll join us in supporting this national call to action!
- Register your event below
- Connect with playwrights/artists you wish to invite to your event
- Consider turning your event into a fundraiser for organizations advocating gun reform
- Spread the word to your communities!