Online Applications are being accepted for the scholarship awards for the 2018-2019 school year.
Deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
Who is Eligible?
Eligible applicants must:
1. Be a participating steward of St. Demetrios or have an immediate family member who has been a participating steward for at least one year to date. Immediate family is limited to father, mother, brother, sister or guardian.
2. Have graduated from an accredited high school and be admitted to or be attending an institution of higher learning. Entering freshmen will be given priority by the scholarship committee. However, college sophomores, juniors, and seniors as well as graduate students are also eligible for scholarships. In making awards, those who have not previously received a St. Demetrios Educational Award will be given priority. Previous winners are also eligible, however, and will be fairly evaluated.
How do I apply?
Email a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2018. A completed application will include:
1. A current high school transcript or a record to date of post-secondary work at an institution of higher learning.
2. The Online Application form.
3. A copy of the letter of acceptance or proof of registration at an institution of higher learning.
4. A written essay of 500 words or more on one of the topics listed below.
5. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, activity advisor or employer.
Applicants will write an essay of 500 words or more on one of the following topics:
1. As a young person leaving your teens and beginning adulthood, what effect will your Orthodox Christian Faith have on the challenges and freedoms that come with this independence?
2. Saint Christopher chose to serve Christ by using his formidable size to carry travelers across a dangerous river. Think about a time when you’ve given of yourself to help others in order to serve Christ and how it affected you.
How will applicants be selected?
The St. Demetrios Scholarship Committee will review all submitted applications and select the award recipients. Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
1. Scholarship (grade point average, honors classes, extracurricular activity, difficulty of academic program).
2. Service to St. Demetrios
3. The essay
5. Letter of recommendation
Notification of an award
Recipients of a St. Demetrios Educational Award will be notified by June 1, 2018.
Each St. Demetrios Educational Award is for one academic or school year at any institution of higher learning.