NOTE: ACCME defines “relevant financial relationships” as financial relationships in any amount occurring within the past 12 months that create a conflict of interest. ACCME considers relationships of the person involved in the CME to include financial relationships of a spouse or partner. All commercial relationships that create a conflict with the faculty’s control of content must be resolved before the educational activity occurs.
1. ACCME guidelines state that all individuals who are in a position to control content of the CME activity are to disclose all of their commercial relationships. Those who are in a position to control include the course director, speakers, case presenters, planning committee members, expert panelists and anyone else who is expected to take an active role in the education.
2. All Activity Directors and Planning Committee members must complete Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationship forms BEFORE planning begins.
3. Failure to disclose conflicts of interest in a timely manner may result in recusal from the activity.
When do relationships create ‘conflict of interest’?
The ACCME considers financial relationship to create actual conflicts of interest in CME when individuals have both a financial relationship with a commercial interest and the opportunity to affect the content of CME about the products or services of that commercial interest.
Where is the ‘conflict’?
When the provider’s interests are aligned with those of a commercial interest the interests of the provider are in conflict with the interests of the public. The interests of the people controlling CME must always be aligned with what is in the best interests of the public.
How do these circumstances create a conflict of interest?
The potential for increasing the value of the financial relationship with the commercial interest creates an incentive to influence the content of the CME – an incentive to insert commercial bias. Commercial bias is prohibited in CME.
I Hereby Certify That:
1. This disclosure and commitment form was completed accurately, and I attest to the validity of the information contained within.
2. I agree to collaborate with the Rochester Academy of Medicine CME Coordinator to ensure that the necessary follow-up is consistent with the MSSNY and ACCME Essential Areas, Elements, Criteria, Policies, and Standards for Commercial Support (SCS).