Scholarship Application Instructions
MANA de San Diego is pleased to continue the Scholarship Program for San Diego County Latina residents. MANA’s mission is to empower Latinas through education, leadership development, community service and advocacy. Since 1991, the MANA de San Diego Scholarship Program has awarded scholarships to Latinas pursuing higher education in various undergraduate majors and post graduate work.
The submission deadline is February 2, 2019, 11 PM PST.
SELECTION CRITERIASelection is based on academic and non-academic criteria of the applicant including: grade point average, financial need, educational aspirations, leadership, and community involvement. This is a competitive scholarship program. Not all applicants will receive awards; these awards are dependent upon funding availability.
AWARDSAward recipients may receive up to: $500 award for community college $1,500 award for four-year university $2,000 award for graduate program (including post-doctoral programs)
REQUIREMENTS1. Applicant must be a Latina with a permanent residence in San Diego County or a Latina attending a San Diego County college or university.
2. Applicant must show proof of current enrollment as well as proof of enrollment in Fall 2018 at a community college, four year university, or graduate level program (including post-doctoral programs) when submitting application.
3. High School Seniors who are in the MANA de San Diego Hermanitas® Program are eligible to apply for the 2018-2019 scholarship and must have a cumulative weighted 3.0 grade point average or higher for 9th-11th grades. **High school seniors who are not in the MANA de San Diego Hermanitas® Program are not eligible to apply for the 2018-2019 scholarship.
4. All applicants (undergraduate and graduate): 3.0 grade point average or higher.
5. Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
6. Applicant must demonstrate community involvement
7. Returning applicants should be current members of MANA de San Diego.
8. Applicant must be available for a panel interview in the Spring 2019. Applicant’s attendance is mandatory. Applicants who attend school outside of San Diego County must request in writing for the scholarship committee to consider possible accommodations.
9. For scholarship consideration, application, all attachments and reference form(s) must be submitted by February 2, 2019 11:00pm PST
APPLICATION ATTACHMENTS:1. Personal Statement (PDF Documents only - applicants will be disqualified if documents are not in PDF
New Applicants:Submit a one-page (12 pt font) single-spaced personal statement addressing each of the following: • Briefly tell us about yourself (Remember to indicate if you are a graduate of MANA’s Hermanitas® Program, MANA committee member, mentor, etc.) • What are your career goals? • Tell us about a leadership role you have taken within the last 1-3 years • Financial need
Renewal Applicants:Submit a one-page (12 pt font) single-spaced personal statement including: • Academic challenges and successes since receiving scholarship from MANA • Tell us about a leadership role you have taken within the last 1-3 years • Your involvement with MANA de San Diego during the immediate past year • Your plans for the future • Financial need
2. Official or unofficial transcript(s)
3. Reference form: Note: this is NOT a letter. Please send the following link to the individuals who will provide your reference(s): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1W7wF4ZJUyry97YODnU-teW0Achp9dBhRIlQLPi6B8TY/viewform?ts=5c0d5c2e&edit_requested=true
All applicants must submit one reference form (e.g., counselor, teacher, faculty member, community leader)
*HERMANITA SENIORS: TWO reference forms are required for Hermanita High School senior applicants, including one from their Hermanita Mentor and another from a teacher or counselor
Special internship opportunity ONLY for Latinas pursuing health profession careers:MANA de San Diego has received funds to support participation in internships with community health clinics. Details about the program will be available after February 2, 2019. Certain MANA de San Diego scholarships will be available to support participation in this internship program. If you express interest, MANA de San Diego will contact you with additional information after February 2, 2019.
Please NOTE: The selection process for the internship scholarships will be in addition to the MANA de San Diego scholarship general selection process. That is, you may be eligible for the internship scholarship whether or not you receive one of the MANA scholarship awards in response to the application you are completing now. If you would like more information about this special opportunity, please be sure to indicate that you are interested in receiving more information about these internships following the question about your major.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Cynthia Davalos at email@example.com.
We wish you the best in pursuing your higher educational goals!