Want to help with the DEI Coalition to create anti-racist, equitable and just newsrooms?
- We're so excited to say that we'll be launching the DEI Coalition in the next month. Make sure to sign up below to get notified as soon as the space launches.
- Due to the volume of sign-ups we've gotten, organizing folks have taken a bit longer, but we're making really good progress. For now, you can continue to sign up to be notified when the spaces open, but we're no longer looking for additional help. Stay tuned for more soon!
- We're continuing to get more sign-ups, which is fantastic. Please expect to hear back from me around mid-August!
- If you sign up to help with any of the building/writing/decision-making work, next week, I'll start organizing folks based on interest, and reaching out to people in groups.
- If you sign up only to help spread the word once we launch, I'll contact you all when we have a launch date and more material to share. Before then, I'll only email with any major updates.
- Over 125 people have already volunteered to help in some way. THANK YOU. Please continue to sign up if you're interested in helping co-create these spaces with us.
OpenNews exists in support of a movement in journalism — one that is fighting for a future where all journalists can work in newsrooms that are anti-racist, equitable, inclusive, and collaborative, and where the communities we've long ignored can trust in journalism to give them justice and representation.
To work toward that future, OpenNews is looking to co-create with the community two digital organizing spaces — hosted on Slack — focused on organizing, collective action and knowledge sharing in the service of a more equitable journalism industry.
Our first community space will be dedicated to organizing, and will be for journalists who are in the fight to change their newsrooms, and are willing to lend their knowledge and solidarity to other journalists across the industry. Whether you're fighting solo, with your newsroom's diversity committee, with your ERG, or with your organization's union, this will be a place to learn from each other's actions and strategies and push change forward together. This community will not include managers.
Instead, our second community space will be dedicated to the managers who are allies to this movement. Managers have specific power and specific restrictions when it comes to this work, and we want to create a space where you can learn more about what you can do — legally speaking, as well as learn from each other's actions and strategies to make your newsroom more equitable for everyone.
Finally, we'll also be looking into ways for the two communities to communicate and strategize across each other, when needed.
If you're interested in helping us co-create either of these spaces, or if you just want to join when the communities are created, let me know below.
Director of Programs at OpenNews
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
This is where we'll be reaching out to get the conversation started. Depending on your situation, you might want to use your personal email address.
If you want to be contacted when the Slack communities are created and are ready to share how someone can join and what the requirements would be, which Slack are you interested in?
Please note! Checking a box here does not mean you'll get an invite to the Slack.
The Slack for journalists who are organizing (not for managers)
The Slack for manager allies
If we need additional help in the future, would you be interested in getting involved?
If you answered "Yes" above, tell us more about how you'd like to help.
Anything else you'd like us to know?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of OpenNews.