Kitchen Commons fosters Community Kitchens and leaders that bring people together to share food, resources and relationships. We believe that Community Kitchens can build food justice by bringing kitchen-work and people out of isolation and sharing in the challenge and celebration of food in our communities. We see this happening when we share our food stories, when people who have not struggled to feed their family hear of other people’s experience with food insecurity, when someone who hasn’t had an opportunity to share themselves with their community shows us how to cook their mother’s favorite recipe. We see it happening in the relationships that are built, the questions that are asked, the information that is shared, and in a multitude of interactions in the Community Kitchen and in our communities beyond the kitchen.
Five steps to becoming a board candidate:
1. Learn more about Kitchen Commons values, history and programs at www.kitchencommons.net.
2. Submit this application form.
3. Meet with Jocelyn or a current board member, who will follow up with you to talk about your interests and what's involved in serving on the board. If you have questions in the mean time, feel free to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-956-0672
4. Participate in a Community Kitchen event if you haven’t already!
5. Attend at least one board meeting by August, 2018.
Kitchen Commons is a grassroots membership organization where members vote for the Board of Directors. We will be formally voting to admit new Board members at our Summer Celebration on August 5, 2017. Candidates will have a brief opportunity to speak at the event and share their interest in serving on the board; we hope you can attend. To allow time to meet with candidates and to have them observe the July board meeting on 7/24, we ask that candidates apply by July 15th, 2017.