SelectionThe following criteria will be considered in selecting those to be conferred with the Distinguished Alumni Award:
1. Lake High School or Walbridge High School graduates.2. Accomplishments, awards and honors as a Lake student.3. Post-high school education/training and related awards, accomplishments, and honors.4. Occupational accomplishments, awards, and honors.5. Public service, military service, and/or charitable accomplishments, awards, and honors.6. Service and contributions to Lake Schools after graduation.
*Note: Criteria #1 is required. The other criteria listed are cumulative and are not specifically required.
ProcedureSelections will be made by the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee (DAA) consisting of two (2) Board of Education Members; two (2) community members (selected by the Board of Education); and two (2) Administrators, (the High School Principal and another Administrator selected by the Board of Education).
1. Nominations will be accepted until January 31 for each year’s selection class.
2. Nominations will be accepted on both electronic/online and hard copy forms available on the school website and High School office.
3. Selections may be made considering the following eras:
1959 and before 1960’s (1960-1969) 1970’s (1970-1979) 1980’s (1980-1989) 1990’s (1990-1999)
(To be eligible, a nominee must have graduated from Lake at least 20 years ago)
4. Nominations of nominees not selected initially will be held for ten (10) years and will be reconsidered each selection year.
5. The Distinguished Alumni Awards will be conferred during and as a part of the annual Academic Awards Banquet.
6. The DAA Committee will coordinate its activities with the Board of Education, High School Principal, and Superintendent, and will make all reasonable efforts to promote and publicize both the nomination process and those selected by using the Focus, school website, Suburban Press, Sentinel, and social media.
7. A nominee must receive at least four (4) votes to be conferred the Distinguished Alumni Award. Posthumous nominations will be accepted. DAA Committee members may make and/or solicit nominations of candidates they deem worthy. DAA Committee members will abstain and/or recuse themselves from voting on nominees who are immediate family members or for other appropriate reasons.