Grammar Police - Promotions Test 2017
If you'd like to apply to become a Grammar Police Sergeant, complete the form below. No prior qualifications or experience are required.
Take great care; a single mistake will result in your application being rejected.
Your results will be emailed to you immediately after you submit your answers.
1. Which of these sentences is punctuated accurately?
"Shut your mouth, Roger!," snapped the man.
"Shut your mouth, Roger!" snapped the man.
"Shut your mouth, Roger"! snapped the man.
2. Which pronoun would correctly complete the following sentence? 'Laura and ___ will be going for dinner later; would you like to join us?'
3. Which punctuation mark could be inserted into the space in the following sentence? 'Girls Aloud were formed in 2002 ____ they had 21 UK Top 10s before splitting in 2012.'
4. Which homophone would make the following sentence make sense? 'I can't _____ the way you talk with your mouth full.'
5. How many apostrophes are missing from the sign above?
6. Look at the punctuation in the following sentence, and decide which of the statements below is true. 'Roger stayed at his parents' house all summer.'
Roger's house belongs to one parent.
Roger's house belongs to more than one parent.
7. What would make the sign above correct?
Adding a 'y' to the final word.
Deleting the second 'l' from 'carefull'.
8. What is the error in the following sentence? 'I enjoyed spending time with my family at Christmas, I'm not sure they felt the same way, however!'
'Christmas' doesn't need a capital letter.
There is a comma splice.
It should start with 'me' and not 'I'.
There isn't an error.
9. Which word would make the following sentence make sense? 'The more effort you put into your studies, the bigger the _____ on your results.'
10. Which word would make the following sentence make sense? 'I am going to ____ my mind if you don't get full marks on this test.'
Complete this section carefully. Results will be emailed as soon as you click submit, and certificates will be issued to lucky applicants after the closing date.
What's your first name?
What's your surname?
Which group are you in?
Check your timetable if you're unsure.
Member of staff
None of the above.
What's your email address?
Type this very carefully, or you will not receive your results...
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service