The Youth Advisory Council of Jamaica (YACJ) is intended to facilitate continuous engagement of young people in youth development policy and programming actions of the Government of Jamaica. The YACJ is one structure geared towards the fulfillment of the Goal VI of the CARICOM Youth Development Goals (CYDGs), which seeks to ensure and enhance youth participation in all levels of decision-making, programme implementation and oversight.
In this respect, the YACJ will work to mainstream the needs of youth through Government of Jamaica (GOJ) programmes and activities during all phases of programme development, implementation and evaluation.
The YACJ will also act as a Steering Committee for the National Youth Parliament, toward ensuring that the deliverables are met deliberations of the parliament are presented to, and discussed with relevant decision-makers.
The YACJ will be structured to ensure that youth are provided with an avenue for full participation in decision-making processes as equal and valuable partners.
To this end, the YACJ aims to:
1. Provide support to the GOJ in mainstreaming youth issues into national policies and development strategies in order to create spaces and opportunities for empowering young people and giving recognition, visibility and credibility to the contributions of youth;
2. Develop partnerships between the GOJ and young people, to solicit and integrate youth views and priorities, and collaborate with youth in setting up projects and programmes to address their needs, concerns and requirements of youth;
3. Monitor and evaluate projects targeting and involving young people and promote research on youth development;
4. Promote the presence of youth on GOJ Boards, as well as in workshops, meetings and conferences organised by the GOJ and its partners;
5. Act as a clearinghouse of information concerning youth, towards updating member organisations on opportunities and initiatives in various sectors of government for youth development.
The YACJ is being coordinated with the intent to facilitate dialogue between young people and all GOJ Ministries, Departments and Agencies. For the period 2018-2020, the council will focus on the achievement of its objectives in relation to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, and its departments and agencies.
The work of the YACJ will subsequently be expanded to consider policies and programmes in other ministries.
APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FROM YOUTH AGES 18-27 TO APPLY TO THE 2018-2020 YACJ