Walton Community Survey for Interview Questions
The Walton Board of Education is preparing to start the interview process for the new Superintendent of Schools. As part of the process we ask you to fill out this survey to determine what questions you would like to have asked of the candidate. Your participation and opinion is important to us. This survey is intended only for Walton School District residents, students, and School District employees. Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey, your participation is appreciated. The survey will end on Friday, April 3, 2020.
Please identify yourself (pick one)
Please pick 5 questions that you would like to have asked of the candidate.
1. What are your three best leadership qualities? Describe at least one situation where one of these qualities was exemplified?
2. What are the 3 most important roles of Superintendent?
3. How would you involve yourself in our community? How would you increase community involvement in our school?
4. What activities do you rely on to improve or maintain staff morale?
5. How would you describe an effective superintendent?
6. What personal qualities do you think are important for a Superintendent to possess?
7. What factors do you consider when allocating money for educational programming?
8. Have you been involved with negotiating employee contracts? If so how?
9. If you are selected for this position, what do you think we can do to help you be successful?
10. How do you respond to crisis situations and who do you enlist to create a positive outcome from adversity?
11. When you are feeling besieged, how do you handle the stress and still maintain positive morale with staff members?
12. Suppose you have a new idea for parent-school communications that you want to try; how would you go about it?
13. Describe your philosophy of discipline? In which methods of discipline have you been formally trained?
14. What is the Superintendent's role in ensuring student attendance and how does it affect student success?
15. In this era of fiscal belt-tightening, what are some ways which you would maintain services/activities without incurring extra cost? How would you cut costs?
16. How would you involve parents in the education of their children? Please give us some examples.
17. Are there any questions that we did not ask you that you wish we had? If so, what are they?
18. How would you involve the professional staff in the decision making process?
19. How would you describe an effective public relations program and the use of social media as a tool for communications for our school?
20. How do you view job attendance as it correlates to job performance in our staff?
21. What is your experience with the Teachers' Association in your career?
22. How do you involve students in the decision-making process? How do you involve staff in the decision-making process? How do you involve community in the decision-making process?
23. What concept would you insist be contained in the education philosophy of your school?
24. What role does the Superintendent play in curriculum development?
25. Can you cite effective teaching techniques that you look for when evaluating a class?
26. What steps would you take to ensure you are an effective negotiator as superintendent?
27. Tell us about your work/professional experience.
28. What methods/strategies have you used in resolving conflicts between students? Teachers? Parent vs. teacher?
29. Correlate student achievement to teacher evaluations. What does data driven instruction look like?
30. What does the word "success" mean to you? What does the word "failure" mean to you?
31. What should a Superintendent expect from teachers and staff? What should teachers and staff expect from the Superintendent?
32. Discuss the relationship between instructional improvement, teacher evaluation and staff development.
33. What is your most significant achievement in your career in education?
34. What is the most educationally sound advancement in education today? How would you bring that to our School?
35. How have you created positive change in a school system you have worked in?
36. What special programs have you developed?
37. Can you describe how you organize meetings? And what are your meeting follow-up strategies?
38. If you were to take us on a tour three years from now, what would you say is significant about the educational program and philosophy of the school?
39. What experiences do you have with school improvements through building projects and possibly Energy Performance Projects?
40. Why should you be hired instead of the other candidates?
41. What are your professional goals for the next 5-10 years?
42. How would you improve school-community relations?
43. What are some ways you measure a teacher's effectiveness?
44. How do you deal with a teacher's deficits and how do you recognize their successes?
45. How would you help teachers and staff Improve student achievement?
46. Have you ever had to write a counseling memo or dismiss an employee? What was the outcome?
47. What is a variance? Have you any experience in obtaining a variance? Developed a program involving a variance?
48. Discuss leadership style as it relates to organizational change. How do you know when you've been successful?
49. How would students in your school describe you? How would your staff describe you? How would your community describe you?
50. What have you done to keep abreast of developments in your field?
This form was created inside of DCMO BOCES.