This MLA quiz will first review the basic requirements of MLA Format as it is commonly used in high schools and colleges, and then will provide multiple choice questions about the rules of MLA for the student to answer.
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
From Mr. Anker Tests
MLA Format Review Slide 1
MLA Format Review Slide 2
MLA Format Review Slide 3
MLA Format Review Slide 4
MLA Format Review Slide 5
MLA Format Review Slide 6
MLA Format Review Slide 7
1. In what types of courses is MLA Format required?
in college classes
in AP (Advanced Placement) classes in high school
whenever any teacher requires it
all of the above
2. What type of spacing is required in MLA Format?
1.5 line spacing
3. Which choice shows the proper format for the date as it should be used correctly in MLA Format?
2 June 2020
June 2, 2020
any of these formats are acceptable
4. Where must the page numbers appear in an MLA formatted document?
at the bottom of the page, in the center
in the upper right hand corner
in the lower right-hand corner
in the lower left-hand corner
5. What must also appear immediately to the left of the page number?
the student’s last name and one space
the teacher/professor’s last name
the name of the course
the title of the document and three spaces
6. Which font is required when publishing an MLA formatted document?
Bold typefaces only
a cursive style font
Times New Roman
7. What font size must be used throughout an MLA formatted document?
a variety of font sizes can be used
8. Which margin width is required with an MLA formatted document?
any width under one inch
1” on top and bottom, 1.25” on the left and right sides
one inch on all sides
one half inch on all sides
9. Where does the heading go in an MLA formatted document?
in the upper right corner
in the center
at the bottom of the document
in the upper left corner
10. Which statement below is true in an MLA formatted document?
no empty lines of space are permitted in an MLA formatted document
a colon must be placed between the word “Period” and the number of the period shown in the heading, like this: Period: 3
titles used in an MLA formatted document must be typed in a bold-faced font style
abbreviated month names are permitted in the heading
11. Which is true of the indenting of paragraphs in an MLA formatted document?
the space bar must be used and pressed three times for the start of each paragraph
the tab key should be used, which creates a standard 5 space indentation
no indenting is required
indenting is only done when quotation marks occur in that specific paragraph
12. What does MLA stand for?
Modern Language Association
More, Less, and Average
Mutual Legal Arbitrations
Medieval Linguistics Achievements
13. Which statement about punctuation below is false?
a period at the end of a sentence is preceded by one space
a comma is always followed by one space
quotation marks can be used, where appropriate
apostrophes must be used in contractions
14. Which of the following is true?
the title of the document should be typed in a larger font size than the body paragraph text
MLA Format is only used for fictional works
single spacing must be used in the heading only
a Works Cited page must begin at the top of a new page
15. Which may occur if a student turns in work to the professor that is not done in MLA format?
the professor may not accept the work at all, and the student would receive a zero for the assignment
the professor may penalize the student and give a lower grade
the professor may return the work, demanding that the work be turned in again, in MLA Format, but for a reduced grade
any of the above scenarios are possible, with the first choice being the most likely
16. Which may be the consequence to a student who turns in a college paper that includes plagiarism?
the student is placed on Academic Probation
the student receives a failing mark on the paper
the student receives a failing mark for the entire course
any or all of the above consequences are possible and appropriate
17. Which is required of a Works Cited page in MLA format?
the Works Cited page must begin on a new page
the writer must use hanging indents, where the second line of a citation must begin 1/2 inch to the right of the first
the entire Works Cited page must be double spaced
all of the above are requirements
18. Which of the statements below is false?
an MLA formatted document may be produced using a computer
colored text is permitted, as long as it is not pink
an MLA formatted document may exceed five pages in length
Works Cited pages contain page numbers, as do all other pages of the MLA formatted document do
19. Which of the following is a justification a teacher may use when requiring MLA Format?
it makes all students’ work easier to read and correct
it ensures that all students follow the length requirement of an assignment
it ensures that all students’ work is being evaluated based on the content of the writing, and not factors like the creative use of fonts
all of the above are justifications a teacher may use when requiring MLA Format
20. Why is it a good idea for a student to be trained in the requirements of MLA format before matriculating to a university?
the student will be prepared to turn in papers that meet requirements when beginning college
the student’s stress level will be reduced, while other students are unsure of how to produce a properly formatted paper
the student will focus on the meaning of the words when writing the document, and not on superficial elements like fonts and styles
all of the reasons above will prove helpful to a student planning to attend college
MLA Tutorial #1: Basic Paper Formatting - Alexander Clarkson- This MLA tutorial explains how to compose the final draft of a research paper, including spacing, titling, and margins.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service