Tribal Warfare. Economic oppression. Political corruption. The problems that plague Kenya are overwhelming but in the midst of great suffering, there is great hope. Live life with and serve people devastated by poverty but brimming with strength, fortitude and joy. Join a Freedom Global team going to Kenya to step into poverty-stricken communities and fight against injustice through building social businesses, spending time at our all girls boarding school, Uhuru Academy, serving in our discipleship programs, visiting orphanages and forming relationships with people forced to live in both the slums and displacement camps. Join us.
What sets Freedom Global service trips apart of other trips? Relationships! On this service trip you will have the opportunity to visit the families of our Uhuru Academy merit-based scholarship students. Many of the families live on 30 cents a day after forced to resettle to the Mai Mahu because of post-election violence of 2007. More than 600,000 people were displaced. You will visit in their homes, often 12' x 12' mud huts, and see life from their perspective. If they walk several miles to gather firewood or make chai (tea) over a wood burning stove you will join them. You will also work with them on Freedom Global ministry projects, like building dairy cow facilities, digging a pipeline or painting at the school.
After spending time with the families of merit-based scholarships students you will come to Uhuru Academy and see the students at school. As a Freedom Global volunteer, you will have the opportunity to participate in life skills lessons, lead field day activities, hold discussion groups and plan craft projects. These high school students are able to communicate in English, and are such fun to be around – a guaranteed highlight of your trip!
Social Businesses: Giving employment to families living in poverty is a integral part of our mission. We want to let you build relationships with our Kenyan staff as you step into one of our fastest growing social businesses, our Dairy Farm. Learn how our businesses have been formed, harvest with our employees and go on deliveries to see our customers. Discipleship Events: You will love visiting and participating in our weekly Chapel at Uhuru Academy, and Bible studies at a few other local schools. At Uhuru Academy, our junior and senior classes are the leaders. You can join them in a lesson and dance with them as they worship to Christ. You will also be able to visit a GLOW Club. These leadership clubs aim to develop life skills and practically apply Biblical truths to the issues that teenagers face (often taboo topics). These clubs attract students who might not elect to attend a traditional Bible study.
We will take two days to unwind and search other wild animals on safari. You will stay in luxury tents in the Maasai Mara.
Our team housing is located in the beautiful tea fields of Limuru, Kenya. We will travel approximately 30-45 minutes each day to our various worksites. Our property staff will prepare dinners for you. Food will be provided to prepare your own breakfasts and lunches. We will have limited internet access.
The cost for each service trip is around $3,000. Service Trips in summer months could fluctuate by $100 or so.
· Round trip flights to Nairobi.
· All transportation
· Meals and full-board accommodations at our volunteer headquarters in Limuru, Kenya.
· Visa to enter Kenya
. Emergency insurance within Kenya (not emergency travel insurance)
· Optional Safari ($380)
· Items of a personal nature, personal insurances, and optional activities
· Passport, medicines and immunizations
· Gifts for people your resource families (optional)
. Emergency Travel Insurance (Typically $3 per day)
Dates for payment:
· Reserve your spot ASAP: $100 non-refundable deposit with trip application
· Two months before trip or ASAP: Your first $1,900 will need to be received. This will cover your plane ticket costs and items we need to book on your behalf in Kenya.
· One month before trip: Final payments for trip cost. Excess funds after purchasing the plane ticket will be directly applied to the other trip costs. A staff member will be in contact with you about specific deadlines.
· All checks for the trip need to be made out to: Freedom Global
· Memo Line: Trip Dates & Name of Attendee
Mail checks to:
· Freedom Global P.O. Box 51373 Durham, NC 27717
Can donors be reimbursed if I raise more money that the service trip costs?
* By law Freedom Global as a 501(C)3 non-profit is not allowed to reimburse any donations given. For this reason we have two options for donations that come in for your trip above and beyond the trip cost. First, if you send us your receipt for your shots prior to your trip we can send you a reimbursement for your shots if you have the funds in your account. (This must be done prior to the trip.) All additional funds Freedom Global will put toward sponsoring a student at Uhuru Academy. Please check box to confirm that you understand this IRS rule.
ALL CHECKS TO FREEDOM GLOBAL ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE ADULT TRIP APPLICATION. Please return this completed form to P.O. Box 51373 Durham, NC 27713 with your $100 deposit.